Rea View's Mission Statement
It is our mission to provide:
- a positive, safe, and nurturing environment
- engaging and differentiated opportunities for students to learn
- an emphasis on developing students' character
- opportunities for students to develop their talents and skills in preparation for an exciting future!
Our staff is composed of:
- 1 Principal and 1 Assistant Principal
- 30 classroom teachers
- 10 teacher assistants
- 2 Academically/Intellectually Gifted teachers
- 3 full-time Exceptional Children's teacher
- 3 Exceptional Children's teacher assistants
- 1 Instructional Coach
- 1 Speech Language Pathologist
- 1 Media Specialist
- 1 Guidance Counselor
- 1 Music teacher
- 1 Art teacher
- 1 Physical Education teacher
- 1 French Teacher
- 3 office support staff
Staff shared among schools include: Nurse, English as a Second Language Teacher, Occupational Therapist, and School Psychologist.
Rea View PTO
Our very active PTO Executive Board, committee chairpersons, and large pool of parent volunteers support our school in so many ways. In each year of our operation, the PTO has led successful fundraising initiatives, which have enabled us to enhance our instructional materials, technology tools, and playground components. The PTO also sponsors important events such as Read with Rocky, Family Fun Nights, staff appreciation events and much more. Our PTO committees organize on-going collections of Campbell’s soup labels, Box Tops for Education, and our participation in the Harris Teeter Together in Education program. An easy way to help is to link your Harris Teeter VIC Card to Rea View’s code, 6358.
Rea View After School Program
Approximately 125 students attend Rea View’s After School Care program. The program operates each school day from 2pm to 6pm, and is headquartered in our gymnasium. The After School Care program also offers child care on teacher workdays and a summer camp program. For more information about the Rea View After School Program, please contact our director, Sheila Floyd, at 704-290-1534, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Spaces in the program fill up quickly and wait lists are common, so be sure to act now to check availability for the upcoming school year.
Fun Facts About Rea View
- Opened in August of 2007
- Rea View’s official school colors are red and black
- Rea View’s mascot is Rocky the Red Wolf
- The Rea View mascot and school colors were selected by future Rea View students during the spring of 2007. After two rounds of voting, the red wolf was selected as our mascot. Red, black, and white were chosen as our official school colors. During September of 2007, students voted on a name for the mascot, choosing from a list of over 20 ideas that Rea View families had suggested throughout the summer. Rocky is the name for our Red Wolf!
- The red wolf is a wonderful representative for our new school. The red wolf was on the endangered species list and by 1980 they were officially declared extinct in the wild. In 1987, four pairs of wolves were reintroduced into the wild in the Alligator National Wildlife Refuge in North Carolina. Today there are about 100 Red Wolves that roam free in northeastern North Carolina. The color of the red wolf varies from cinnamon red, to grey or black. The red wolf is smaller than the grey wolf, but larger than a coyote. Red wolves are known for being smart, sociable, living in family units or packs, playing together, and working together.
- Enrollment: 674 enrolled for 2019-2020
- 30 homerooms for 2019-2020
- Average class size for K-3: 21 students
- Average class size for 4-5: 28 students
Rea View Elementary follows the North Carolina Standard Course of Study for subject area goals and objectives by grade level in the following areas: English Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, Guidance, Music, Physical Education, Healthy Living, and Arts Education.
For more information regarding the curriculum of North Carolina Public Schools, please consult the following website:
- Rea View Elementary is situated on a 55-acre campus just off of Rea Road in western Union County. In addition to 36 homerooms, our facility includes the following:
- spacious gymnasium for Physical Education classes
- separate classroom spaces for music & art instruction
- Computer lab with state-of-the art desktop computers and Promethean Activboard technology
- Media Center featuring a wide array of print materials and technology tools
- Wireless internet throughout the building
- separate playgrounds for K-2 and 3-5 students, featuring basketball goals, soccer goals, swings, climbing components, slides, and more
- moveable wall separating gymnasium & dining room space
Rea View Website
The Rea View website provides a wealth of information including upcoming calendar events, staff listings and email addresses, frequently-asked questions, and much more. The Student-Parent Handbook for Rea View, the school calendar, and supply lists for each grade level can be found on the website as well.
Specialty Area Classes
Students receive weekly instruction in Art, French, Inquiry, Music, and Physical Education. Our Guidance Counselor teaches classes to all students, in addition to the small group and individual support that she provides on a regular basis.