The North Carolina State Board of Education has adopted the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts. The new standards define the knowledge and skills students should have throughout their K-12 education careers so that they will graduate high school fully prepared for college and careers. The standards:
- are aligned with college and work expectations;
- are clear, understandable and consistent;
- include rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills;
- build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards;
- are informed by other top-performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in a global economy and society; and
- are evidence and research-based.