Bus Classes & Driver Qualifications
Virtual Bus Classes (8am - 12:30pm)
Email Michael Stegall if interested.
Bus Classes for 2022 April Deadline for Registration 04/05-04/06 7:45am-5pm 03/25/2022 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 04/19-04/20 7:45am-5pm 04/08/2022 TBD-TEST DAY TBD May Deadline for Registration
7:45am-5 pm 04/22/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 05/16-05/18 7:45am-5 pm 05/06/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD May/June Deadline for Registration 05/31-06/02 7:45am-5pm 05/20/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 06/13-06/15 7:45am-5pm 06/03/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 06/27-06/29 7:45am-5pm 06/17/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD July Deadline for Registration 07/05-07/07 7:45am-5pm 06/24/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 07/18-07/20 7:45am-5pm 07/08/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD August Deadline for Registration 08/01-08/03 7:45am-5pm 07/22/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 08/15-08/17 7:45am-5pm 08/05/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 08/29-08/31 7:45am-5pm 08/19/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD September Deadline for Registration 09/06-09/08 7:45am-5pm 08/26/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 09/19-09/21 7:45am-5pm 09/09/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD October Deadline for Registration 10/03-10/05 7:45am-5pm 09/23/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 10/17-10/19 7:45am-5pm 10/07/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD November Deadline for Registration 10/31-11/02 7:45am-5pm 10/21/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 11/14-11/16 7:45am-5pm 11/04/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD 11/28-11/30 7:45am-5pm 11/18/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD December Deadline for Registration 12/12-12/14 7:45am-5pm 12/02/22 TBD-TEST DAY TBD
We no longer offer in-person classes.
Before becoming a school bus driver for the district, drivers must meet strict requirements. They include, but are not limited to:
- At least 18 years old.
- Possess a valid NC CDL (Commercial Driver's License) with P (Passenger) and S (School Bus) Endorsements and a clean driving record.
- Pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
- If you are a current school teacher and/or coach employee, please fill out the Bus Class Registration Form and give it to your Athletic Director. Please note at the top of the form what class you plan to attend.
School Bus Driver Training Checklist:
For those drivers that are new to North Carolina, or that reside in North Carolina, but do not have a CDL, training classes are mandatory prior to getting behind the wheel. All candidates are pre-screened before inviting them to the training classes. Below is a brief summary of the process.
- You must complete the application process and be hired as a School Bus Driver Trainee.
- Apply to Union County Public Schools via AppliTrack @ http://www.applitrack.com/ucps/onlineapp/
- Pass a pre-employment drug test
- Pass a pre-employment background check
- Be hired as a School Bus Driver Trainee
- Attend three day training class
- Successfully pass written tests for their Commercial Driver's License
- Obtain a Class B Learner's Permit and hold for 14 days
- Obtain a DOT Medical Card
- Successfully pass three days of on-the-road training with DMV Driver Trainer
- Upon completion of all steps within 90 days of hire date, Trainee will be moved to Bus Driver status