Bus Classes & Driver Qualifications
August 11, 12, 13 - Class is full
September 14, 15, 16 time and location tbd
October 12, 13, 14 time and location tbd
November 16, 17, 18 time and location tbd
December 7, 8, 9 time and location tbd
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, our bus classes are very limited.
- If you are interested in driving a yellow school bus for us, you must have an application on file, completed an interview and been invited to class. The application link is below.
- If you are a current school teacher, coach, employee please fill out the Bus Class Registration Form and give it to your Athletic Director. They will work to have you scheduled for a class. Bus Class Registration Form
- If you have any questions, please call 704-296-3015 for more informaiton.
Before becoming a school bus driver for the district, drivers must meet strict requirements. They include, but are not limited to:
- At least 18 years old.
- Possess a valid NC CDL (Commercial Driver's License) with P (Passenger) and S (School Bus) Endorsements and a clean driving record.
- Pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
School Bus Driver Training Checklist:
For those drivers that are new to North Carolina, or that reside in North Carolina, but do not have a CDL, training classes are mandatory prior to getting behind the wheel. All candidates are pre-screened before inviting them to the training classes. Below is a brief summary of the process.
- Apply to Union County Public Schools via AppliTrack @ http://www.applitrack.com/ucps/onlineapp/
- Selected to attend training class by interview panel
- Successfully pass written tests for their Commercial Driver's License
- Obtain a Class B Learner's Permit and hold for 14 days
- Pass a pre-employment drug test
- Obtain a DOT Medical Card
- Successfully pass three days of on-the-road training with DMV Driver Trainer.
- Background Check
- All criteria listed above must also be met before employment.