ALL STUDENTS MUST AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TERMS (INCLUDING CAR RIDERS AND AFTERSCHOOLERS FOR FIELD TRIPS)
In order to guarantee your child a safe school bus ride, he or she must follow the following rules:
- Follow directions the first time given.
- Stay in your ASSIGNED seat with feet on the floor facing the front of the bus - Do not change seats.
- Keep your hands, feet, and objects to yourself and inside the bus.
- Keep voices low - no cursing, swearing, or rude gestures.
- No eating, drinking, littering, writing on or damaging the bus in any manner.
- No rough housing; pushing, fighting, or throwing things.
- Be at the bus stop ten minutes before your scheduled pick up time.
- No harmful items allowed on the bus (drugs, tobacco products, alcohol, weapons).
- No animals are allowed on the bus.
If a student chooses to break a rule, the following consequences will apply:
- 1st Offense: Notice sent to parents - conference with student.
- 2nd Offense: Conference with parent and student.
- 3rd Offense: Conference with student and parent and a 1-3 day bus suspension.
- 4th Offense: Conference with student and parent and a 3-6 day bus suspension.
- 5th Offense: Conference with student and parent and a 6-10 day bus suspension.
- 6th Offense: Conference with student and parent and the student will be suspended from the bus for the remainder of the school year.
During suspension, transportation to and from school is the responsibility of the parent.
Bus riding privileges may be revoked for any of the following reasons:
- Refusing to be seated or remain seated, moving to an unassigned seat without permission from the driver, moving up and down the aisle while the bus is in motion.
- Hitting, pushing, or fighting (including play fighting).
- Throwing any objects in or out of the bus (including paper).
- Spitting, littering, in or out of the bus.
- Unnecessary noise, yelling, or using inappropriate language.
- Tampering with the bus, bus equipment, or damaging the bus in any way.
- Distracting the bus driver.
- Eating or drinking on the bus.
- Rude or discourteous conduct toward the driver or other students.
- Using radios, video games, or any other electronic equipment.
- Bringing unnecessary items on the bus that may cause disruptions or distractions to the driver and other students.
An adult or student may be prosecuted for the following (Public Law 115-C-399):
- Refusing to be seated.
- Trespassing on a school bus.
- Damaging a school bus.
- Entering a school bus after being told not to do so.
Other Pertinent Information:
- Please allow two weeks (kindergarten students to be staggered) for routes to be fully established and operating efficiently.
- Keep in mind that the bus may run later due to inclement weather, mechanical problems, and congested traffic problems.
- Students are not permitted to sit on a book bag, or have knees in seats. Book bags are to be held in the lap unless otherwise instructed by the bus driver.
- Do not bring large objects, projects, or packages on the bus without seeking prior approval from the driver and/or administration.
- Students who need to get on or off the bus at another stop other than their normal stop must have a written note from their parents and must have it approved by an administration and teacher.
- No students are allowed to be picked up or dropped off on the bus lot. Parents cannot park their cars and walk to the bus lot to pick students up. All students that are car riders must be picked up in the front.
- Any bus changes (student becomes a car rider) must be done before 11:00am.
- If there are any questions or concerns please contact one of the administrators from Sardis Elementary at (704) 882-4303.