Curriculum & Industry Alliance Program
Union County JobReady Partnership strives to ensure a well-prepared workforce for area businesses by giving students & teachers the opportunity to obtain additional education and technical skills through outside-the- classroom experiences. The Curriculum & Industry Alliance Program aims to provide teachers the connection between the in-class curriculum with real-life examples found in local industry and businesses. Teachers who are selected will be provided a yearlong partnership with a local business in the area of their expertise. A key factor in the success of the partnerships will be building personal relationships between selected participants.
Teachers that participate will be expected to:
- Complete an online application no later than September 15, 2017 which includes Principal recommendation.
- Attend the kick-off event on September 29, 2017 at 7:30am at the Union County Chamber of Commerce
- Commit 3 days during the school year (1 per Fall, Winter, and Spring) to work on-site all day and learn from the mentor
- Commit to 3 days during the school year (within the week of the business visits) to develop lesson plans based on industry/business visits
- Engage in continued communication with your Business mentor during the on-site visits
- Arrange for at least 1 in-class visit of your Business mentor to your classroom to collaborate and implement lesson plans
- Utilize examples of projects from the company that demonstrates how problems which arise do not always have a textbook solution
- Attend the celebration at the conclusion of the Program on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 5:30pm at South Piedmont Community College
- Provide feedback to JobReady Partnership for purposes of Program improvement and growth
To properly prepare for your first day on-site:
- Prepare any sub plans necessary for your classes.
- Arrive to your company in professional dress and on time.
- Prepare questions based on curriculum and how it may relate to the business/industry.
- Pay attention to soft skills that are utilized in the workplace and how you can integrate them into your classroom.
Please keep in mind that this first year is a pilot year for the program. As such, JobReady expects that certain tweaks will be necessary and will be relying heavily on feedback from both industries and teachers to insure that appropriate adjustments are made for a continued, successful initiative.
JobReady Partnership and Union County Public Schools look forward to your participation and continued support. If interested or if have any questions about the Program, please contact Allen Plyler at email@example.com . All applications must be submitted by September 15, 2017.
- What type of feedback is expected from participants?
Companies and teachers participating in this program should be prepared to provide feedback in the form of survey responses as well as testimonials, quotes, photos and more. This feedback will be used to improve the program and for marketing purposes - locally, regionally and beyond as needed.
- Who reviews the applications and pairs the teacher with a company?
JobReady members will be reviewing the applications and selecting the best candidates to pair with participating companies.
- What grade levels will this program target?
For the pilot year, the Curriculum and Industry Alliance Program will look to match a 10 companies or industry partners with 10 teachers from the middle school or high school tracts. The intent is to build awareness of Union County companies, tying in applied learning early in the educational tract. With success and growth of the program, more teachers and businesses are anticipated to be involved.
- Do I have flexibility in my schedule for when I visit the business?
The visits should be arranged in advance to allow proper planning for the teacher and business. Each visit is followed with a planning session with other participants to create lesson plans based on business experiences. The planning sessions are set for October 13, December 15 and March 2. Therefore, it is recommended that visits be scheduled for October 9, December 11, and February 26.
- Where do I go to apply?