The Career Readiness Department (CTE) strives to provide a wide array of small personalized learning communities within different high schools across the county in order to prepare students for College and Careers. Students can apply for entrance into an academy pathway through a voluntary application process which requires parent approval, support, and knowledge. Academy classes are often taught by teachers from various industries and have real-world experience and knowledge in their specialty area.
Union County Public Schools Career Readiness (formerly called Career and Technical Education) strives to provide a wide array of small personalized learning communities within different high schools across the county. Students can apply for entrance into an academy pathway through a voluntary application process which requires parent approval, support, and knowledge. Academy Pathway classes are often taught by teachers from various industries and have real-world experience and knowledge in their specialty area.
- Provide a relevant curriculum leading to increased student achievement and graduation rates.
- Focus on career preparation through rigorous curriculum and industry certification.
- Raise student aspiration and commitment to academic achievement and work ethics.
- Promote leadership development through participation in Career and Technical Student Organizations (CTSOs).
- Allows for dual enrollment (Career and College Promise) opportunities and articulation credit so that students may earn post-secondary credit while in high school.
- Support the local and state economy by meeting industry needs for skilled employment in high-demand occupations.
Application Information and Process
Students should have a genuine interest in a career area prior to applying for an academy pathway. At this time, students must also provide their own transportation if moving from one school to another for classes.
If you would like more information about our academies, please click here.
- Fill out an online application. Students must be logged on their UCPS Google Account in order to access the application on December 1st.
- The online application will then be emailed to you for you to share with your parents. Your parents must sign the application before it is returned.
- Return your paper application to the Career Development Coordinator (List of CTE Staff including CDCs) at your school.
PLEASE NOTE: Applying to an Academy does not guarantee admission. In order to enroll in an academy at a different school than a student’s home school must be able to provide their own transportation.
Click on the links below for more information about each of the Academy Pathway options available to UCPS students:
Business, Finance, & Information Technology (BFIT)
Family & Consumer Science (FCS)
Health Science Education (HSE)
Technology Engineering & Design Education (TED)
Trade & Industrial Education (T&I)