• Realignment Plan


    The Board of Education adopted the recommendation of the Student Realignment Citizens Advisory Committee with several amendments.


    Please note: This link to the maps does not reflect the amendments approved by the Board of Education at the March 6 meeting. https://www.croppermap.com/unioncounty/ The maps that reflect the Board of Education’s vote will be posted when the information has been updated.


    Over the next few weeks, staff will work to compile school assignments, maps and other resources related to the board’s decision on March 6, 2018. Once the information is complete, parents will be notified about how to access new school assignments and options for grandfathering or transfers.


    The Board also approved a revised policy for children of employees. There are two major changes.

    1. Employees will now be able to request a transfer for their child to any school in the district except special program schools.
    2. Once the transfer is granted, it will remain in effect until the terminal grade (5th, 8th and 12th), absent a change in the employment status of the employee.


    Below is information about grandfathering, choice options and a sibling policy that have been approved by the Board of Education.




    The Board has approved the following grandfathering opportunities. If your student will be in the following grades for the 2018-19 school year, he or she is eligible to remain in his/her current school/cluster. Students who takes advantage of the grandfathering option shall provide their own transportation.

    • Rising 5th graders (current 4th grade students);
    • Rising 8th graders (current 7th grade students); and
    • Students currently enrolled in a dual language program and their siblings currently enrolled in the same school.
    • Rising 9th graders (current 8th grade students).
    • Rising 10th – 12th graders (all sitting high school students)

    Students otherwise eligible for grandfathering may be reassigned if the special program required to meet the needs of the student is not in the school to which the student is currently assigned or pursuant to an assignment to an alternative school. Additionally, a student will not be able to gain admission into a special program school (i.e. CATA or UCEC) or an academy within a school (i.e. Culinary Arts or Law Enforcement) through the grandfathering process.


    Students may apply for admission through lottery any school within the district whose student population is no more than 90% of the capacity as determined by the district. The Superintendent shall designate which schools are available for enrollment under this provision on an annual basis.


    The Superintendent and Board have the final authority to identify schools available for choice under this option. Once a transfer has been granted under this basis it will remain in effect until the terminal grade in that school location (i.e. 5th, 8th and 12th).

    Sibling Policy

    A student may be eligible for a transfer based upon the assignment of his/her sibling under the following circumstances:

    • A middle and/or high school student will be allowed to transfer to a school within the cluster where s/he has a sibling currently assigned (the sibling cannot be in the cluster via the transfer process). The student will be eligible to remain in the cluster through his/her graduation;
    • A rising kindergarten student will be allowed to transfer into the dual language program at the school where his/her older sibling is currently enrolled in a dual language class. The rising kindergarten student must enroll and remain in the dual language program to be eligible under this option; and
    • Any student who has a sibling assigned to a separate setting classroom through the Exceptional Children’s Program will be allowed to transfer to the same school.


    A webpage has been established for updates and information related to realignment. There will be information posted about 2018-19 school assignment maps, timelines and deadlines to exercise grandfathering and transfer options, frequently asked questions, policies and more. The webpage can be accessed from the UCPS homepage.


    How to request a transfer:

     Student Transfer Request - English

    Petición para la Transferencia de un Estudiante-Spanish