- New Salem Elementary (es)
- Meet Our School Administrator
Meet Our School Administrator
Denny Ferguson (Principal)
About Mr. Ferguson
Who am I?
I am married to a teacher and am a father of two kiddos. Our family lives in the New Salem Community. When I am not working at New Salem I tend to be an outdoorsman taking on new outdoor projects and challenges.
I have come to learn that our greatest limitation are the limitations we set on ourselves. Human ability is not set at birth. Instead, I believe that every student has unlimited growth potential both academically and socially. It is our great responsibility as educators to teach students how to unlock their potential daily and thrive.
- East Union Middle School, Union County, teaching students grades 6-8, with various disabilities, but mostly students with behavioral and emotional disabilities. Also taught seventh-grade language arts.
- Assistant Principal and Curriculum Coordinator, Pageland Elementary School, Chesterfield County, SC.
- Principal, Carthage Elementary School, Moore County, NC.
- Principal, East Elementary School, Union County, NC.
- Principal, The Health Science Academy at Monroe Middle School, Union County, NC.
- Currently, Principal, New Salem Elementary School, Union County, NC.
Post High School Educational Bio Info
- Undergraduate Degree in teaching students with mild-moderate disabilities with a minor in English from UNC Charlotte.
- Additional licenses in teaching students with behavioral and emotional disabilities as well as regular education language arts grades 6-9 via UNC Charlotte and RALC.
- Graduate Degree in Educational Leadership from Winthrop University. Licensed in K-12 school administration.
Contact Mr. Ferguson
Brittany Marshall (Assistant Principal)
About Mrs. Marshall
I am a native of Marshville, NC. I attended New Salem Elementary for Kindergarten, but then moved and attended Marshville Elementary, East Union Middle, and Forest Hills High. I currently live in Monroe with my husband, TJ, and our two daughters, Aria and Chandler. I enjoy going to the beach, reading, watching the Tar Heels, and spending time with friends and family.
School had such a positive influence on my life, so I became an educator in hopes of doing the same for others. I am passionate about helping others become the best version of themselves. I believe that positive relationships, rigor, and high expectations allow students and teachers to optimize their potential and success for themselves, the school, and the community.
For undergrad, I attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as a Teaching Fellow. I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education with a minor in Math, Science, and Technology. For graduate school, I received my Masters in Educational Leadership from High Point University as part of the High Point Leadership Academy (Principal Fellows).
Educational Work History
I taught at Rocky River Elementary in UCPS from 2014-2021 teaching 3rd and 5th grade. I also served as Lighthouse Coordinator for our Leader in Me Program and helped the school achieve Lighthouse Certification in 2019 and re-certification in 2021.
For the 2021-2022 school year, I completed my administrative internship at Forest Hills High School and served as the interim 6th-grade assistant principal for a short period of time at the Health Sciences Academy at Monroe Middle School.
I am excited to join the New Salem family and look forward to a successful year helping our students THRIVE!
Contact Mrs. Marshall