How to Apply
Application Process for 2017-2018 School Year
Click on the links below for more information for the 2017-2018 school year.
The Admission Process for the 2017-2018 School Year has ended and all Academy spots are filled. We will maintain the waiting lists for academies over the summer in the event that a family moves out of the county.
Information about 2017-2018 Academies at Central Academy is available below (scroll down to bottom).
Application window for the 2017-2018 lottery for admission to Central Academy is now CLOSED.
- Central Academy of Technology & Arts is a public, magnet school in Union County Public Schools.
- Bus Transportation is available to students for Central Academy of Technology & Arts.
- Students entering Central Academy complete all UCPS requirements for a NC High School Diploma in addition to the required Academy courses for the Academy they are enrolled in.
- 2017-2018 Application Period is scheduled for: 9:00 am Monday, February 13, 2017 through midnight on May 1, 2017. (These deadlines are firm and we strongly suggest that families complete the application well in advance of the deadline as we cannot make exceptions for technology issues.)
- Information on requirements, offerings, and lottery/audition process is available by clicking on the link below.
- Students may only be admitted to CATA at the start of the Ninth and Tenth Grade years.
- Due to the large number of students interested in visiting Central Academy, we offer a "CATA Crawl" for all students in the county. We do not offer individual tours. It is strongly recommended that you attend this evening. Here are the school assignments for the CATA Crawl nights:
Tuesday, February 21, 2017 @ 6:30-8:00 pm, Marvin Ridge, Weddington, Cuthbertson, Parkwood, Monroe Middle Schools.
Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 6:30-8:00 pm, Sun Valley, Porter Ridge, East Union, Piedmont Middle Schools
- Here's the video that was shown at the 2017 CATA Crawl events: https://youtu.be/GG4X-_FoRdg
- The 9th Grade application period has closed.The 10th Grade application period has closed.
- Academy Pathways 2017-2018 - Shows courses students would take each year for their academy (course offerings are reviewed each year, with sequence or course selection occasionally changing).
- NINTH Grade Admission Criteria for 2017-2018 Contains the following topics: Admission Criteria for school and specific academies, Application Period, Lottery Process, Notification and Acceptance procedures, Performing Arts Academies procedures.
- TENTH Grade Admission Criteria for 2017-2018 Contains the following topics: Admission Criteria for school and specific academies, Application Period, Notification and Acceptance procedures, Performing Arts Academies procedures.