How to Apply
The application process for 2019-2020 school year will continued to be updated. Please check back for updated information. Thank you for your interest in Central Academy of Technology & Arts!
Application Process for 2019-2020 School Year
Information about 2019-2020 Academies at Central Academy is available below (scroll down to bottom).
Click on the links below for more information for the 2019-2020 school year.
Application window for the 2019-2020 lottery for admission to Central Academy is from February 11, 2019 at 9:00 am to Monday, April 29, 2019 at 5:00 pm.
- Central Academy of Technology & Arts is a public, magnet school in Union County Public Schools.
- Bus Transportation is available to students for Central Academy of Technology & Arts.
- Students entering Central Academy complete all UCPS requirements for a NC High School Diploma in addition to the required Academy courses for the Academy they are enrolled in.
- Central Academy Counselors visited every UCPS middle school to speak with eighth grade students in November and December 2018.
- The 2019 - 2020 Application Period is scheduled for: 9:00 am Monday, February 11, 2019 through 5:00 pm on April 29, 2019. (These deadlines are firm and we strongly suggest that families complete the application well in advance of the deadline as we cannot make exceptions for technology issues.)
- Information on requirements, offerings, and lottery/audition process is available by clicking on the links below.
- Students may only be admitted to CATA at the start of the Ninth and Tenth Grade years.
- Due to the large number of students interested in visiting Central Academy, we offer a "CATA Crawl" for all students in the county. We do not offer individual tours. It is strongly recommended that you attend this evening. Here are the school assignments for the CATA Crawl nights:
- Tuesday, February 19, 2019 @ 6:30-8:00 pm, Sun Valley MS, Marvin Ridge MS, East Union MS
- Tuesday, February 26, 2019 @ 6:30-8:00 pm, Parkwood MS, Weddington MS, Monroe MS
- Thursday, February 28, 2019 @ 6:30-8:00 pm, Porter Ridge MS, Cuthbertson MS, Piedmont MS
- Students not currently enrolled in a UCPS middle school, but eligible to attend, should go to the night scheduled for the home school that they would attend if enrolled. Students that cannot attend the scheduled night due to a conflict can certainly attend one of the other nights scheduled.
- Questions? Call or email Ms. Tammy Tweed in our guidance department. Ms. Tweed can answer your question or direct you to the correct counselor. 704-296-3088 or email@example.com
- Application for 9th grade admission will be available Februrary 11, 2019 at 9:00am.
- Application for 10th grade admission will be available Februrary 11, 2019 at 9:00am.
- (Please note that rising 10th grade applications are considered in the order they are received. It is advised that you apply as close to the opening of the application period as possible.)
- The lottery for entry in the 2019-2020 school year will be on Monday, June 24, 2019 at 9:00 am. This is open to all families that applied. The lottery is also streamed so that you can watch it from your home or business. The lottery typically lasts about 90 minutes.
- Notification of eligibility to be entered into the lottery - for those students applying for a lottery-based academy (all Information Systems, Medical Science, Pre-Engineering, and Transportation Academies) notification of eligibility will be emailed to the primary email address prior to the lottery. It is the parent's responsibility to check that email regularly and to call the school if they do not receive notification that their child is one of the following:
- eligible to enter the lottery process
- not eligible to enter the lottery (this ends the process for these students)
- placed on a waiting list for open slots that are not filled through the lottery
Parents with questions about the eligibility determination must email the CATA Admissions email within 48 hours of notification to appeal.
- Students applying to Theatre, Dance, and MPRA must audition and meet all entrance requirements for the school and be recommended for admission through the audition process. Those recommended for the limited spots who meet the entrance requirements will be offered spaces first. Those who meet audition requirements but are not selected will be placed on a waiting list should spaces become available. Those who do not meet audition requirements and/or general admission requirements will be notified. Families will be notified of eligibility the week prior to the lottery. It is the parent's responsibility to check their email regularly and call the school if they do not receive notification.
- After submitting your application please contact Mrs. Tweed at 704.296.3088 to schedule your child’s audition for Theatre, Dance, and MPRA. This must be done prior to April 30th, 2019. This is the responsibility of the parent/student. Failure to sign up for an audition will result in removal from the application process.
- Students applying to Transportation Academies must complete an interview. After submitting your application please contact Mrs. Tweed at 704.296.3088 to schedule your child’s interview. This must be done prior to April 30th, 2019. This is the responsibility of the parent/student.
- Academy Offerings for 2019-2020 (coming soon)
- Academy Pathways 2019-2020- Shows courses students would take each year for their academy (course offerings are reviewed each year, with sequence or course selection occasionally changing).
- Rising Ninth Grade Admission Criteria for 2019-2020 Contains the following topics: Admission Criteria for school and specific academies, Application Period, Lottery Process, Notification and Acceptance procedures, Performing Arts Academies procedures.
- Rising TENTH Grade Admission Criteria for 2019-2020 Contains the following topics: Admission Criteria for school and specific academies, Application Period, Notification and Acceptance procedures, Performing Arts Academies procedures.