Welcome to Parkwood Middle School's Media Center!
Ms. McCall Reeder - Media Coordinator
"The mission of the school library program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information. The school librarian empowers students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, and ethical users of information by:
American Association of School Librarians. Empowering Learners: Guidelines for School Library Programs. American Library Association, 2013. ProQuest Ebook Central, https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uncg/detail.action?docID=1342650.Hours: 8:00am-3:45pm.Library Policies:
- collaborating with educators and students to design and teach engaging learning experiences that meet individual needs
- instructing students and assisting educators in using, evaluating, and producing information and ideas through active use of a broad range of appropriate tools, resources, and information technologies
- providing access to materials in all formats, including up-to-date, high-quality, varied literature to develop and strengthen a love of reading
- providing students and staff with instruction and resources that reflect current information needs and anticipate changes in technology and education
- providing leadership in the total education program and advocating for strong school library programs as essential to meeting local, state, and national education goals"
- Students can check out 4 books at a time, provided you don't have overdue books
- If you have overdue books, you may only check out two more until the others are returned
- Books can be checked out for two weeks and renewed once
- Students can place books on hold if they are not available in the library - once holds are ready, students have 48 hours to pick them up before they are re-shelved
- Students are expected to pay for lost or damaged books
- Overdue notices will be sent home with report cards
Battle of the Books is a competition program celebrating the love of reading and encouraging students to explore new genres and authors. Only 12 students can participate in the competing team. Sign-ups start early in the fall and we first compete in spring, 2023. See the link on the tab on the left for more information and to sign up for interest in joining the team!