Fairview's school counselor is Ms. Roblynne McDuffie. Ms. McDuffie provides counseling to students on an as-needed basis. She also has implemented many programs throughout the school to focus on and highlight the good in every student, thus building their self-esteem.
How can I see the counselor?
- Students can fill out a guidance sheet and drop it in a confidential drop box (guidance sheets can be found in each classroom)
- Teachers can refer students who might benefit from discussing issues with Ms. McDuffie
- Parents can contact Ms. McDuffie if they feel their child may have concerns that she could help address
School counselors recognize their primary obligation for confidentiality is to the student but balance that obligation with an understanding of the family or guardians’ legal and inherent rights to be the guiding voice in their children’s lives (ASCA Code of Ethics).
The role of the school counselor in regards to confidentiality is:
- To support the students right to privacy and protect confidential information received from students, the family, guardian and staff members
- To explain the meaning and limits of confidentiality to students in developmentally appropriate terms
- To provide appropriate disclosure and informed consent regarding the counseling relationship and confidentiality
- To inform students and the family of the limits to confidentiality when: Student poses a danger to self or others, Court ordered disclosure, Consultation with other professionals in support of the student i.e. colleagues, supervisors, treatment teams, and other support personnel
- To keep personal notes separate from educational records and not disclose their contents except when privacy exceptions exist
- To seek guidance from supervisors and appropriate legal advice when their records are subpoenaed
- To assert their belief that information shared by students is “confidential” and should not be revealed without the student’s consent
- To adhere to all laws protecting student records, health information, and special services (i.e., HIPAA, FERPA, IDEA)
Degrees and Certifications:
Ms. Roblynne McDuffie
I am new to Fairview this school year, but I am in my 15th year in education. I earned my Educational Specialist Degree (Master's plus 30) in Counselor Education-School Counseling from the University of South Carolina-Columbia.
In my spare time, I enjoy traveling and spending time with my boyfriend Horace and my two stepchildren.
I am also a published author. I published one book, Resurrecting the Living, in 2018.
I am very excited about working with the Fairview students, staff and community in ensuring the academic, personal, social and career-related success of all our students.