Phone: 704-296-0320 Extension: 6441
Degrees and Certifications:
Welcome to a new school year! I would like to take a moment to introduce myself to all of our Poplin parents. This is my fourth year as a Poplin Patriot and my seventh year as a school counselor in Union County. I have some fun activities and programs planned for our young Patriots this year. They all center around being accepting of others differences, respectful to ourselves and others, and striving to be college bound. If I can be of any assistance to you or your child please feel free to contact me by phone or email. Thank you, and I hope that we all have a great year!
School counselors recognize their primary obligation for confidentiality is to the student but balance that obligation with an understanding of the family or guardians’ legal and inherent rights to be the guiding voice in their children’s lives (ASCA Code of Ethics).
The role of the school counselor in regards to confidentiality is:
- To support the students right to privacy and protect confidential information received from students, the family, guardian and staff members
- To explain the meaning and limits of confidentiality to students in developmentally appropriate terms
- To provide appropriate disclosure and informed consent regarding the counseling relationship and confidentiality
- To inform students and the family of the limits to confidentiality when: Student poses a danger to self or others, Court ordered disclosure, Consultation with other professionals in support of the student i.e. colleagues, supervisors, treatment teams, and other support personnel
- To keep personal notes separate from educational records and not disclose their contents except when privacy exceptions exist
- To seek guidance from supervisors and appropriate legal advice when their records are subpoenaed
- To assert their belief that information shared by students is “confidential” and should not be revealed without the student’s consent
- To adhere to all laws protecting student records, health information, and special services (i.e., HIPAA, FERPA, IDEA)