Union County Public Schools
1 - Chapter 1 - Board of Education
1-13 Public Hearings
Revisions History: Reviewed by GC 11/09/2020, Reviewed by GC 02/18/2020, 01/04/2018, 04/05/2011, 10/04/2005, 12/03/1996 Approved 12/21/1992
PUBLIC HEARINGS 1-13
(Page 1 of 2)
The Board shall conduct public hearings at its discretion. The purpose of a public hearing is for the Board to hear views expressed by citizens and to gather information pertinent to issues or decisions that must be made or are under deliberation by the Board. At the hearing, the Board is not in session to answer questions, but is there solely to gather information and opinions. Comments made by Board members must be in the nature of clarifying and informing.
The following procedures will govern public hearings:
1. Persons wishing to address the Board during the Comments-Public time
must contact the Assistant Superintendent for Communications and Community Relations prior to and not later than 5:00 p.m. on the day of the meeting. Persons wishing to address the Board but miss the 5:00 p.m. deadline may sign up to speak at the hearing site. Sign-up sheets will be available at the hearing site 30 minutes prior to the start of the meeting.
2. After the meeting has been officially opened, the Board Chair will briefly
state the purpose of the hearing, the issues involved, the limits of the topics to be discussed, and the time limit of the meeting. These procedures are to be approved by the Board at the beginning of each hearing.
3. Speakers shall have a maximum time for individual and group presentations of three (3) and five (5) minutes respectively.
4. Each speaker will be limited to the maximum time set forth above.
5. Speakers will be called by sign up order. If a person is not present when
his/her name is called, his/her time shall be forfeited.
6. When called upon by the Chair, each speaker should again state his/her name and address. If representing a group, the speaker shall also identify the group.
7. All remarks made by persons speaking must be addressed to the Chair.
8. Lengthy statements shall not be read. If anyone feels his/her comments
would of necessity exceed the time limit, he/she may submit additional materials to the Board in writing.
9. Any Board member, when recognized by the Chair, may ask a speaker
questions to secure additional information or to clarify information.
10. The proceedings of the hearing and the comments made by the speaker
will be recorded.
PUBLIC HEARINGS 1-13
(Page 2 of 2)
11. No action will be taken at a hearing. The issue may be placed on the agenda
of a subsequent Board meeting.
LEGAL REF.: G.S. 143, Article 33C
UNION COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION APPROVED: 12/21/92
REVIEWED BY GENERAL COUNSEL: 2/18/20
REVIEWED BY GENERAL COUNSEL: 11/9/20