4-17/4-9 - Student Dress and Appearance
4 - Chapter 4 - Students
4-17/4-9 Student Dress and Appearance
Revisions History: REVIEWED BY GC 06/09/2020, 09/05/2019 MOVED FROM 4-17 TO 4-9, 07/07/2015, 06/23/2009, 06/15/2004 Approved 05/07/2002
STUDENT DRESS AND APPEARANCE 4-17
The board believes that the dress and personal appearance of students greatly affect their academic performance and their interaction with other students. The board requests that parents outfit their children in clothing that will be conducive to learning. The principal of each school, with the assistance of the site-based team and other relevant groups, shall establish a student dress code for the school. Dress must not disrupt the learning environment, cause destruction of school property, or be a hazard to the health and safety of students. Before being punished for a first dress code violation or minor infraction, a student who is not in compliance with this policy or a school dress code will be given a reasonable period of time to make adjustments so that he or she will be in compliance. The school-based dress code shall:
· Respect all relevant student rights;
· Be specific as to the nature of prohibited dress and/or appearance;
· Specify a reasonable level of consequences for offenses;
· Provide for exceptions when religious, health, financial, or cultural needs of the family conflict with the dress code;
· Establish a school-based appeals process.
· Be reviewed annually; and
· Be placed in the student handbook on an annual basis.
However, the board prohibits appearance or clothing that does the following:
- violates a reasonable dress code adopted and publicized by the school;
- is substantially disruptive;
- is provocative or obscene; or
- endangers the health or safety of the student or others.
*If the principal determines on reasonable suspicion that garments or other items are gang related, the principal can ban the wearing or display of such items after giving verbal and written notice to students. (See Policy 4-3(c) III, 1.)
LEGAL REF.: 115C-36, -47, -288, -307, -390, -391, -392
CROSS REF.: Board Policy 4-3(c), Prohibition of Gangs and Gang Activities
UNION COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
REVISED: 9/5/19 MOVED FROM 4-17 TO 4-9
REVIEWED BY GENERAL COUNSEL: 6/9/20