- Union County Public Schools
- Board Policies
1-1 AG (a) - Process for Filling Vacancies
1 - Chapter 1 - Board of Education
1-1 AG (a) Process for Filling Vacancies
Revisions History: Revised 03/02/2021
When a Board member submits his/her resignation the following process will be implemented:
1. At the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board the Chair will formally accept the resignation and announce the vacancy.
2. The Board shall consult the county executive committee of the appropriate political party before filling the vacancy.
a. Union County Republican Party
Post Office Box 2172
Indian Trail, North Carolina 28079
b. Union County Democratic Party
PO Box 81
Monroe, NC 28111
c. Union County Board of Elections
316-B East Windsor Street
Monroe, NC 28112
3. The Board shall appoint the person recommended by the county executive committee of the political party of which the vacating member is registered, if that county executive committee makes a recommendation within 30 days of the occurrence of the vacancy.
4. If only the qualified voters of an area less than the entire county were eligible to vote in the general election for the vacating member, the Board must accept the recommendation of the county executive committee only if the county executive committee restricted voting to committee members who represent precincts all or part of which were within the electoral district of the vacating member.
5. To be eligible to fill a vacancy, a person shall be all of the following:
a. Registered with the same political party as the vacating member, if that vacating member was elected as the nominee of a political party.
b. A resident of the same district as the vacating member, if the vacating member was elected to represent an electoral district of less than the entire county.
UNION COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION