- Union County Public Schools
- Board Policies App Example
1-1 AG (a) - Process for Filling Vacancies
1 - Chapter 1 - Board of Education
1-1 AG (a) Process for Filling Vacancies
When a Board member elected prior to 2018 submits his/her resignation the following process will be implemented:
1. At the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board the Chair will formally accept the resignation and announce the vacancy.
2. A link will be placed on the District’s Website on the Board of Education page to the application to fill the vacancy.
3. Members of the community will have thirty (30) days to submit an application.
a. All applicants must be eligible to run for elected office in the State of North Carolina (N.C. Constit. Art. VI);
b. For a district vacancy only residents of that district may apply;
c. For an at-large vacancy any Union County resident may apply; and
d. Employees of the District may apply for a Board of Education seat but must resign their employment upon appointment to the Board.
4. At the expiration of the thirty (30) day application period all applications will be placed on the District’s Website on the Board of Education page.
5. The Strategic Planning, Information Technology and Transportation Committee (SPTT) will convene a meeting to review the applications. SPTT will recommend up to three (3) candidates for consideration by the full Board.
6. At the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board, SPTT will submit their recommendation(s). As the nomination comes from a committee no second is required.
7. Board members may also move to consider any of the other applicants. The applicant will be considered if another Board member seconds the nomination.
8. The nominees will be considered individually in the order of nomination. Once a nominee receives a majority vote the election will be closed.