4-20 AG (a) - Lice Protocol
4 - Chapter 4 - Students
4-20 AG (a) Lice Protocol
LICE PROTOCOL 4-20
Union County Public Schools must take measures to eliminate repetitive outbreaks of lice, which cause problems with infestation in schools.
Lice are a problem predominately in elementary schools and occasionally in middle and high schools. The following lice screening procedures will be implemented at each school site:
- Elementary classroom teachers will screen every child assigned to them for lice by the end of the first day of school and the first day back at school after extended breaks in the school calendar (i.e. Winter and Spring break). Students with lice will be referred to the elementary principal and/or designee for a second inspection. The designee may be a guidance counselor, teacher, teacher assistant, or assistant principal.
- Middle and high school administrators and one additional designee shall screen any student who a teacher suspects of having lice. Any student who is found to have lice shall be screened again the first day back at school after extended breaks in the school calendar (i.e. Winter and Spring break).
- Each principal and one designee will be trained in louse detection/ prevention by the Union County Public Schools Health Staff.
- The parents of the affected student will be notified. Parents of elementary, middle school, and high school students who cannot drive must come to school as soon as they are notified and pick up their student for treatment. High school students who have transportation may leave campus with parental permission.
- An appropriate treatment must be applied to rid the student of lice.
- Before a student who was found to have lice at school may return to school, all lice must be removed. A student will not be readmitted to school until the student is lice free.
- Parents are encouraged to be present at school when the student returns after treatment and is rechecked for lice.
- A student will be referred to school nurse for intensive management if re-infestation occurs within six weeks of initial episode.
- Each principal will work with the school nurse assigned to his/her school in order to make appropriate referrals for families with repeated infestations.
- At the elementary level, the principal/designee shall send communication to the parents of all students in the same class as the student with lice.