- Marvin Ridge High (hs)
DECA Has Best Showing Ever at Conference!
Congratulations go out to the MRHS DECA Club, who had their best showing ever at the 2019 Career Development Conference that was held in Greensboro last week!
The MRHS DECA club was awarded the Civic Awareness Award, which is only given to one chapter in the state of NC, for their yearlong support of a philanthropic community initiative. The year, the group chose to support the local Bright Blessings charity, which provides birthday parties, gifts, books, and other necessities to local homeless students.
The group was also awarded the chapter award for Largest Professional Membership, due in part to their fundraising effort of selling sponsorships to local business. Additionally, they received NC Chapter of Distinction Honors for the third year in a row!
Twelve MRHS students were recognized as Top 10 finalists in NC competition and will have the chance to compete and attend leadership workshops at the ICDC event taking place in Orlando, Florida in late April.
Those students are:
- Rohan Jangala – First place in Business Finance
- Jack Stephen – Second place in Personal Financial Selling
- Ishan Dalsania & Shaurya Kumar – Second place in team competition
- Sarah Motteler – 3rd place in Accounting Applications
- Paige Rhule – 3rd place in Retail Merchandising
- Sophia Freeman – 4th place in Marketing Communications
- Suzanne Smith – Top 10 in Apparel and Accessories Marketing
- Grace Stroube – Top 10 in Community Service Project
- Yash Shah – Top 10 in Hospitality and Tourism Team Decision Making; Top 10 in Community Service Project
- Shreya Sawant – Top 10 in Hospitality and Tourism Team Decision Making
- Shane Gravelle – Top 10 in Restaurant and Food Service Management; Top 10 in Community Service Project
Additionally, MRHS DECA Advisor, Lisa Hall, was recognized as a Kenneth W. Smith Award winner. This prestigious award is presented to marketing educators with five years or less in the teaching profession. These award winners are recognized for outstanding contributions to NC DECA on district/state level, and for their contributions to Marketing Education through curriculum development and professional association committees.