- Union County Public Schools
Union County Board of Education extends Superintendent’s contract
The Union County Board of Education voted to extend Superintendent Dr. Andrew G. Houlihan’s contract through June 30, 2023. The board approved a three-year contract extension at its May 7 meeting. The original contract approved in August 2016 ended June 2020.
Board Member Gary Sides made the motion to approve the contract extension offering that he was lucky enough to play a part in hiring Dr. Houlihan and he is pleased to be a part of playing part to keep him.
“I, too, played a part in bringing Dr. Houlihan to Union County Public Schools and I support this contract extension for our superintendent,” said Board Chair Melissa Merrell.
Under Dr. Houlihan’s leadership, Union County Public Schools has received several accolades for work around high-quality instruction, literacy support, college and career readiness initiatives, school safety/social and emotional learning plans and community partnership expansion.
“Union County Public Schools is an incredible school system and I want to thank the Board of Education, staff, students, teachers, parents and our community for their continued support,” Houlihan said. “I am grateful for the opportunity to work with the best educators in North Carolina and I am looking forward to building on our successes and staying the course on a model of continuous improvement.”
Highlights from Dr. Houlihan’s tenure in UCPS:
- Maintained high-performing academic achievement with increased graduation rate
- Implemented college board assessments during the school day to students at no cost
- Expanded Advanced Placement offerings and increased Advanced Placement performance in high schools
- Named 2018 Superintendent to Watch by National School Public Relations Association
- Created UCPS Mobile Book Bus
- Partnered with Atrium Health to create Health Sciences Academy at Monroe Middle
- Partnered with Wingate University to create Wayfind Program at East Union and Monroe middle schools
- Expanded digital literacy and college/career readiness resources for students
- Created Student Support team to focus on social and emotional learning strategies
- Received Cops Grant to expand safety initiatives
- Purchased classroom libraries for elementary and middle schools
- Held Listening and Learning Tour with parents, staff and community members
- Created #TeamUCPS and #BetheBest to enhance school system’s brand, build employee morale and community support
- Developed Books and Brackets reading challenge
- Increased community engagement through quarterly updates to key community groups
- Redesigned beginning teacher support strategies and developed partnership with Wingate University develop teachers into administrators
- Received $27 million EPIC Grant
- Updated technology for students and staff and established partnership with Sprint to provide wireless access to students