- Western Union Elementary (es)
WUES is a School of Choice
We are so excited to be a UCPS School of Choice! When you choose to come to Western Union Elementary, you will be happy to be a part of our family!
Why Choose Western Union?
Western Union Elementary is a close-knit family school that has been an integral part of the Union County community over the past 75 years! When you walk through our halls, you will notice the warm and inviting family feel that our staff, students and families create.
Student Population: Approx. 525 students
School Location: We are conveniently located off Highway 75 between Waxhaw and Mineral Springs.
Teacher Experience: 100% Highly Qualified/Certified Teachers
School Recognition: Met or Exceeded Growth for the past 3 years
School Schedule: Traditional Calendar
7:00 Begin Drop Off
7:30 School Starts (tardy bell)
2:00 School Ends
Extra Curricular Programs:
- Musical Performance: Chorus, plays, and grade level musical programs
- After School Clubs: Jr. Beta Club, Newspaper Club, Soccer Club, Battle of the Books, Girls on the Run, Golf
- In School Activities: Recycle Club, Student Ambassadors
- We have an active and involved PTO
- Common Core State Standards (English Language arts and Math)
- C. Essential Standards (Science, Social Studies, Art, Music, P.E. Healthful Living and Information Technology)
- Reading/Writing: Lucy Calkins’ Readers and Writers Workshop Model
- Specials: STEM, Computers, Music, P.E., Art, Media, and Guidance
- Academically and Intellectually Gifted Program (AIG): Math and Reading programs for qualifying 4th and 5th graders; testing for AIG occurs in 3rd grade
- Exceptional Children Program (E.C.): Provides Resource, Self-Contained, Speech, Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy for qualifying children.
- Dual Language Immersion Program (Spanish) for grades K-4 - will be K-5th for 2019-20 school year
- All classrooms connected to the internet.
- Laptops for each student in grades 3-5
- Several iPads in grades K-2
- Promethean boards & document cameras for interactive learning
After School Program:
- Available from 2:00 – 6:00 daily on campus
- NC rated 5 star program
- Serves students K-5
- Teacher Workday and Summer Camp programs offered
- For more information, contact Virginia Caesar at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-843-5080
- Rocky the Eagle is our Mascot
- Our school colors are royal blue and white
- Our school motto is “Give your best and nothing less!”
- Our school-wide behavior system is based off of SOAR (Show Respect, Be Obedient, Awesome Attitude, Be Responsible)
- We are a Global School: We Soar & Explore the World around us!
Click here for more information on School of Choice.
Transportation is not provided for students who accept a transfer through School Choice.