PRMS celebrates black history, its 10th anniversary
Porter Ridge Middle School had a unique opportunity this month to celebrate not only Black History Month, but also the school’s 10-year history. Union County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Mary Ellis, Porter Ridge’s first principal, explained how the school’s name and colors were chosen. A Porter Ridge history was depicted through a power point presentation while a painting by Kirsten Durbin was on display. Samuel Ryan, a sixth-grade Porter Ridge Middle School math teacher, has organized a black history celebration at the school for the past five of the nine years he has taught at the school and says its a celebration of all cultures. Pictured is one of the dancers of Oneaka Dance Company from Charlotte.
Two UCPS bus drivers reflect on years behind the wheel
Every day, 315 Union County Public Schools yellow buses travel more than 30,000 miles, carrying approximately 24,000 children to school and then safely home again in the afternoon. In honor of a national movement that declares February “Love the Bus Month,” UCPS would like to recognize and honor its 383 full-time and substitute bus drivers and its 102 safety assistants. The following spotlights two bus drivers (Doris Russell and John Paul Hinson) who exemplify the dedication that makes these caring individuals so appreciated by the school system, parents and the thousands of students who ride their buses daily.
Recent Feature Stories
- Sun Valley Middle teacher is named February 'Hometown Hero'
- Monroe High School students step up for a beloved teacher
- Civil Right activist tells students to learn from history's mistakes
- Welcome Class of 2028! UCPS Kindergarten registration Feb. 9-13
- Third annual Family Engagement Conference to be held Feb. 21
- Forest Hills High choir offers memorable Valentine's Day present
What's new at UCPS
- Unison Elementary Music Festival changed to March 7 - Cuthbertson High
- 2015 Graduation Schedule posted
- Community Construction Equity Plan (CCEP)
- It's time for kindergarten registration
- 2015-16 calendars approved by Board of Education
- UCPS Board of Education hears Independent Audit Report