Find out more about how, when and what will happen when we return to school!
Marvin Ridge families,
See the following information. There will be more coming as we move quickly towards the start of school. This is a quick list of bullet points to some of our frequently asked
questions. Thank you for your patience as we work through all the different moving pieces.
● Link to communication from last week: Parent Communication from July 30
● The UCPS Board of Education has made the following operation times official in their last meeting.
● Marvin Ridge Area
○ Rea View Elem 7:30-2:00
○ Marvin Elem 7:30-2:00
○ Sandy Ridge Elem 7:30-2:00
○ Marvin Ridge Middle 9:05-4:05
○ Marvin Ridge High 8:10-3:05
● Car rider screening will begin at 8:20.
● Chromebook procedures
○ Parents coming to pick up their child’s Chromebooks on Wednesday, August 12th or Thursday, August 13th should come to the bus lot.
○ Please complete the required online form prior to arrival. COPPA Form
○ Sixth grade students and newly enrolled students will pick up their Chromebooks as follows:
■ August 12
● 9:00-10:00 A-G
● 10:00-11:00- H-O
● 11:00-12:00 P-Z
● August 13
○ 9:00-10:00 A-G
○ 10:00-11:00- H-O
○ 11:00-12:00 P-Z
● Everyone starts on the 17th no matter what option was chosen. Please have your child login by 9:05 following his/her schedule. Your child’s teacher will provide the
link to join. (Login instruction will be with our tutorial videos)
● Breakfast and lunch will be served daily by the cafeteria. Students will eat in classrooms at this time.
● Students will have the same teachers on remote and in-class. Students who are on Plan D will also have Marvin Ridge Middle teachers.
● Elective classes will be on A and B weeks. For example, if your child has PE as his/her A elective, then the child will have that class for one week, and then the
following week the student will have his/her B week.
○ Immersion parents can expect supplemental resources weekly.
● Meet the Teacher Introductory videos and tutorial videos will be available Thursday, August 13 by 5:00.
● We are still in the process of finalizing schedules. Schedules will arrive by the end
next week by mail. Please make sure your child brings his/her schedule to school.
● Release of tutorial videos for navigating Canvas and other school information next week. Check the school website for updates.
● Parents/guardians must complete a Bus Attestation form . Please sign and return to your child’s bus rider. Weekly
We are excited to have our whole staff reporting this coming week and look forward to a successful year!
Union County Public Schools is pleased to introduce Read with U, our new community-based reading initiative that pairs elementary students with community members like you.
Sign up to be a reading buddy this school year and spend 30 minutes per week reading with a first-grade student. If your business or organization would like to help students with reading, stay tuned for information about TutorMate, which will be introduced this fall at Title I elementary schools.
Read with U is easy as 1-2-3
- Visit the Union County Public Schools website and click on Read with U to complete a volunteer application.
- Once your application is approved, contact the volunteer coordinator at your local elementary school to get started.
- Read with your student for at least 30 minutes once per week during the school year.
Ready to sign up to be a reading buddy? Click here to start your volunteer application.
For more information, visit our website or contact your school’s volunteer coordinator.
According to Carolina School Hub, Marvin Ridge Middle School is ranked #5 out of 133 middle schools in the Charlotte metro region and #11 out of 700 middle schools in the state. There are just two traditional/non-charter/non-magnet schools in the Charlotte metro area which rank above us, and only three traditional/non-charter/non-magnet schools in the state which rank above us. WOW! Everyone on this team is to be commended for that stellar news. Here’s a link with the full rankings:http://www.carolinaschoolhub.com/best-middle-schools-charlotte-nc.cfm.
The Duke TIP Program is currently open to interested families for the following programs:
- 4th-6th Grade Talent Search
- 7th Grade Talent Search
- Academic Adventures Program (grades 5-6)
- PSAT 8/9 Test Registration (for current 4th, 5th, and 6th graders enrolled in the 4th-6th grade Talent Search)
- Scholar Weekend (grades 8-11)
In order for students to qualify he/she must have either a 95% or above on the EOG's OR a 125 or above on the Inview/IQ test. These scores cannot be more than 2 years old. Please see the link provided for additional information. For more information on qualifying criteria and the enrollment process please visit this link www.tip.duke.edu
Any additional questions can be answered by calling their information line at 919-668-9100.