Rocky River Elementary School
500 North Rocky River Road, Monroe, NC 28110
Principal: Sherry Richardson
"Inspiring Learners Empowering Leaders"
How many students attend Rocky River
- We currently have 550 students enrolled (8/8/2019)
What are the school hours at RYRES?
- School office hours 7am – 4 pm
- Students may enter school at 7am.and arrive no later than 7:30 otherwise they will be marked tardy. They go to breakfast or classroom upon arrival.
- School ends at 2pm.
What are the school colors? Blue and Yellow
Does Rocky River have a mascot?
- Yes, our mascot is Rodney Roadrunner. Occasionally Rodney will be sighted at school events.
Does Rocky River have an afterschool program?
- Yes, we have an afterschool program on campus. Please contact Angela Jordan at 704-290-1533 for more information.
Do students have enhancement classes?
- We have STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Art, Music, PE and Media enhancement classes (specials) 40 minutes one time per week in K-5.
Does Rocky River have any clubs for students? We have clubs offered two ways…
- . We will have clubs throughout the school year. Many will focus on careers and healthy living .
After school clubs… might include
- Science Club, 4 and 5th grade
- Robotics Club 2-5th grade
- Art Club 4 and 5th grade
- Battle of the Books- 4th and 5th grade
What is special about Rocky River?
Our school is divided into four houses to create unique communities. Houses include:
Amistad (Red House) Friendship
Isibindi (Green House) Courage
Rêveur (Blue House) Dreamers
Altruismo (Black House) Givers
New students will spend wheel and be given the opportunity to join that house group. During the year students have assemblies, participate in meetings, and celebrate winning house points with early morning dance party and various other fun activities. They get the opportunities to show leadership throughout the school.
We are part of the Leader in Me Program and have been recognized in spring 2019 as a Lighthouse School.
Students have lessons associated with learning the 7 habits.
- Habit 1: Be Proactive You’re in Charge (Be a responsible person, choose actions, attitudes and moods and not blame others for my actions)
- Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind (Have plan and set goals)
- Habit 3: Put First Things First (Work then play, do important things first, organize, set schedule)
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win (I balance what I want with consideration for what others want. When conflicts arise look for alternatives)
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood (Listen before your talk to see different viewpoints and feelings. Listen without interrupting. Express my own ideas.)
- Habit 6: Synergize ( Value others strengths and learn from them, get along well with others even when we are different, work in groups well and seek out others ideas to help solve problems.)
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw (balance, take care of body, eat right, exercise and get sleep. Spend time with family and friends, learn in many places and lots of ways, and help others).
We will now have a family lighthouse team with parent reps and even more opportunities for parents to volunteer in a way that matches their talents and availability.