Health Sciences Academy
Union County Public Schools offers students the opportunity to explore and engage in the high-demanding and fast-growing healthcare industry. The Career and Technical Education (CTE) and medical Spanish courses at Health Sciences Academy at Monroe Middle School offer many ways for students to explore health sciences in the healthcare industry. These courses focus on the exploration of a variety of health science-related fields and careers.
Other schools within the Health Sciences Academy (HSA), include Walter Bickett Elementary, East Elementary and Monroe High School. Our unique partnership with Atrium Health, which began in 2017, allows us to provide an aligned K-12 curriculum that engages our students at each grade level.
Union County Public Schools is thankful for the support of partnerships including Atrium Health, South Piedmont Community College and Wingate University. Atrium Health provides healthcare specialists, who are dedicated to each level of the Academy, including elementary, middle, and high. Their presence in our building helps ensure connectivity, collaboration and relevance to the industry and job market.
To prepare students to become active contributors to their community and shape students for a successful future by providing them with experiences in health sciences careers and pathways, beginning in kindergarten and continuing through high school.
Why Health Sciences Academy?
- There is a need for diversity in the workforce due to the industry’s growth.
- Students begin exploring healthcare fields and careers to determine areas of interest.
- By exploring health sciences in middle school, students can make an informed decision about choosing to continue on a health sciences pathway in high school.
- Students explore a variety of health sciences-related career fields, including emergency medicine, nursing, radiology, pharmacy, laboratory and therapy.
- Students gain a foundational understanding of how the body works and the importance of making choices.
HOW ARE HEALTH SCIENCES ACADEMY CLASSES OFFERED?
- Health sciences and medical Spanish classes are offered through CTE and elective courses that focus on exploration, project-based, and hands-on learning.
- Students also experience health sciences lessons and activities through core class integration and school-wide experiences.
How teachers make Health Sciences Academy relevant to students
- Students explore health sciences through hands-on labs and project-based learning
- Students participate in health sciences-related field trips, engage with guest speakers from the healthcare industry and experience hands-on learning, such as heart dissections.
- Students participate in medical and educational experiences to gain exposure and further their understanding.
How will students benefit from Health Sciences Academy?
- Opportunity to explore career options available in the healthcare industry.
- Exploration helps students decide if they want to continue on a health sciences pathway.
- Access to school-based instruction combined with healthcare industry exposure.
- Leadership and personal development training needed to succeed in future courses, including teamwork, problem-solving and communications.
- Students will have a competitive advantage for their high school career.