Poplin Elementary opened in August of 2009. The building now occupies land the Privette family owned and farmed for many years.
The building was designed for 850 K through 5th Grade students with core capacity to support future classroom expansion of up to 1,000 students.
The facility includes K-5 classrooms, art, music, STEAM, computer, special needs and resource rooms, administration, guidance, cafeteria, multi-purpose gym, media center, video production, Sensory Room, Sensory Path, Garden, Pollinator Garden, Bluebird Trail and two playgrounds.
We have a Dual Language Immersion program (Spanish), for grades K-5.
Student Population: 638
- Named an A+ School in 2014-2015 (Exceeded Growth)
- Named a B School in 2015-2016, 2016-2017, and 2017-2018, 2018-2019 (Met growth all years)
- Named a UCPS International School for school years 2010-2011, 2012-2013 and 2016-2017 for Integrating Global Learning into the curriculum.
- In 2019, started a 3 year partnership with Discovery Ed to bring Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics to each classroom.
- Percent of highly qualified teachers: 100%
- Advanced degrees: 30.4%
- Teaching Experience: 44.3% of teachers have 10+ years experience.
- School hours 7:30am-2:00pm (Earliest drop off time is 7:00am)
- Traditional School Calendar
- Bus transportation is available to all students: full time or occasional rider option.
After School Program:
- After School program is available from 2:00pm-6:00pm daily on campus.
- NC rated 5-star program
- Serves students in K-5
- Teacher workday and Summer Camp programs offered.
- For more information, contact MeShaunda Martin at email@example.com or 704-296-0326.
Extra Curricular Programs:
- Musical Performance: Chorus and grade level performance programs.
- After-School clubs include: Battle of the Books, Art Club, Girls on the Run, Gardening and Coding Clubs.
- Principal’s Advisory Committee
- School Resource Officer on campus
- Video Doorbell System
- Ident-A-Kid Check-in System
- Common Core State Standards (English Language Arts and Math)
- N.C. Essential Standards (Science, Social Studies, Art, Music, P.E., Healthful Living and Information Technology)
- Reading/Writing: Lucy Calkins' Readers and Writers Workshop Model
- Specials: Media, Music, P.E., Art, and STEAM.
- Academically and Intellectually Gifted Program (AIG): Math and Reading programs for qualifying 4th and 5th graders; testing for AIG occurs in 3rd grade. Teachers may suggest testing or parents may request child be tested.
- Exceptional Children Program (EC) -Provides Resource, Self-Contained, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy for qualifying children.
- Dual Language Immersion Program (Spanish) for grades K-5
- All Classrooms connected to the internet.
- 1:1 Laptops for students in grades 3rd, 4th, and 5th, classroom laptops for 2nd grade, and iPads for students in grades K-1.
- All classrooms have a Smart Board or a Digital Television and document camera.
- 3-D printer that allows teachers and students hands-on experience from conception to creation.
- At Poplin Elementary, our students are expected to display STAR Patriot expectations. These four expectations are taught and reinforced by all staff, in all areas of the school.
Star Patriot Expectations:
In 2019, we began a new concept called The House System. Students and staff are divided into four houses: Reveur, Isibindi, Amistad, and Altruismo. The House System creates a positive climate and culture for students and staff. It allows Poplin to implement processes that build character, relationships and school spirit. Students earn points for their house based on demonstrating STAR Patriot expectations.