Instrumental students looking to apply to CATA will be required to record ONE video of yourself playing 2 scales. This is for all woodwind instruments, brass instruments, and pitched percussion. All other non-pitched percussionists should play two drum roll techniques listed below. If you play any other non traditional band instrument (piano/guitar/bass) for example, you can record any song in your repertoire.
Instrumentalists, please click the link below and find the “Middle School Scales.” Play the given scales based on your instrument.
Middle School Scale Sheets
Visit the middle school scales and click on the appropriate instrument:
- C Instruments (Flute, Oboe, Bassoon, Trombone, Euphonium B.C., Tuba and Mallets) play your F Major Scale and Eb Major Scale in the written rhythm with the arpeggio.
- Bb Instruments (Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone, Trumpet and Euphonium T.C.) play your G Major Scale and F Major Scale in the written rhythm with the arpeggio.
- Eb Instruments (Alto Saxophone and Baritone Saxophone) play your C Major Scale and D Major Scale in the written rhythm and arpeggio.
- F Instrument (French Horn) plays your C Major Scale and Ab Major Scale in the written rhythm and arpeggio.
For percussionists, please record yourself stating your first and last name, what school you attend, and yourself playing the rolling exercise. Use the link below for what roll to play for your instrument:
- Snare Drum: Single Stroke Roll – Open Close – Open
- Multiple Bounce Roll – Slow Fast Slow
For non-traditional band instruments, please record yourself stating your first and last name, what school you attend, and yourself playing the song of your choice.
- Non-traditional band instruments: Guitar/Bass/Strings/Piano
- Play 60 seconds of a song that showcases your skill