Request a Meeting: Parents and Students can request a meeting with a counselor by completing this form. If you would like to meet with the College Advisor, please use her Calendly link below.
We believe that all students have the potential to become productive members of society. We also believe that it is our job (our obligation) as educators to help students realize their skills and develop these skills. Students should be given every opportunity to discover and enhance their talents. When students enjoy what they are doing (learning) then they will learn more effectively. Education is the most valuable and most influential gift that we can offer the students of our community and we look forward to assisting in this process accordingly!
Though education is our primary purpose, we do recognize the importance of nurturing outside the classroom as well. We encourage every student to get to know their school counselor. Students needing assistance, whether it be for academic, social or personal support, should see their school counselor. Our goal is to help all students succeed.
- To be positive role models for students, teaching them vicariously as well as directly.
- To provide and maintain a safe, structured environment for students to feel safe and to learn.
- To not simply graduate all of our students, but to provide them with a viable plan for the future.
- To instill a love of learning in our students so that they will become lifelong learners.
- To develop rigor, relevance, and relationships with our students and to make learning personal.
- Personal development
- Academic development
- Career development
- Tia Drake - 11th Grade Counselor
- Megan Lee - 10th Grade Counselor
- Ellie DeVoe - 12th Grade Counselor
- Michael Engelhard - 9th Grade Counselor
- Mitzi Webb - Graduation Support Coordinator/CASP Program
- Emma Chandler - College Advisor Calendly:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VZell6uosH2BbwigRVPV4njErA0fBBT5Nm5BS8Yk84g/edit?usp=drive_link Website: https://sites.google.com/ucps.k12.nc.us/monroecollegeadvisingwebsite/home
- - Counseling Secretary/Registrar
- Alex Lago - LEP Program Counselor
Students are assigned to a counselor by grade level. That counselor will stay with their group through graduation. Students should fill out a request for an appointment if they need to see their counselor. Parents who wish to meet with the counselor should call the counselor directly to request an appointment.
Services provided through guidance:
- Student Enrollment
- Individual counseling
- Group counseling
- College and career exploration
- Consultation with teachers, parents, and administrators
- Crisis intervention
School counselors recognize their primary obligation for confidentiality is to the student but balance that obligation with an understanding of the family or guardians’ legal and inherent rights to be the guiding voice in their children’s lives (ASCA Code of Ethics).
The role of the school counselor in regards to confidentiality is:
- To support the students right to privacy and protect confidential information received from students, the family, guardian and staff members
- To explain the meaning and limits of confidentiality to students in developmentally appropriate terms
- To provide appropriate disclosure and informed consent regarding the counseling relationship and confidentiality
- To inform students and the family of the limits to confidentiality when: Student poses a danger to self or others, Court ordered disclosure, Consultation with other professionals in support of the student i.e. colleagues, supervisors, treatment teams, and other support personnel
- To keep personal notes separate from educational records and not disclose their contents except when privacy exceptions exist
- To seek guidance from supervisors and appropriate legal advice when their records are subpoenaed
- To assert their belief that information shared by students is “confidential” and should not be revealed without the student’s consent
- To adhere to all laws protecting student records, health information, and special services (i.e., HIPAA, FERPA, IDEA)