The 72nd UVES BBQ is HAPPENING!
(Save the Date 11-5-21)
Parents and Friends of Unionville,
Once again we have received permission from local authorities for the safest way to proceed with our traditional annual BBQ. For the second year in a row we are saddened that our current health conditions will prevent our in-person EAT-IN and family reunion in the gym. We hope that you will continue supporting our school the way you have for the past 71 years.
Here is what you can expect this year:
- All sales will be pre-ordered and will open beginning Tuesday October 12th through October 29th. However if we reach capacity, prior to the deadline, the site will not allow any additional orders.
- Boston Butt will be whole, cooked to perfection and come with an 8 oz BBQ sauce.
- Brunswick Stew will be bulk orders only. (32 oz)
- The take out line will begin and end later in the day this year. The line will open at 12:00 noon with a break in the line for student dismissal between 1:45 and 2:15
- Enter the line from Unionville-IndianTrail Road by the track.
- BBQ T-shirt sales end on FRIDAY, October 15, at 8:00 am
We will NOT have:
- Cash sales the day of the BBQ like in years past
- BBQ Plates
- EAT-IN- in the gym
- Covid restrictions limit our options for volunteers. We are waiting for further guidance.
Find us on Facebook @Unionville Elementary School
School website www.uves.ucps.k12.nc.us
We plan to be back to our normal BBQ schedule in 2022. See below for those details.
73rd Annual Barbeque
- Friday, November 4, 2022
- Take out: 8:00 am until
- Eat in: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Price ?
- 3 sandwiches or plate
- Carton of barbeque or stew
The Unionville BBQ is the first Friday in November.
Hundreds of volunteers working together each year make this enormous event possible!
We would love to have you join our team this year!
Unionville BBQ History
- The first Unionville BBQ was in 1949
- The first ticket cost was $1.00
- Students, parents, staff and community members all contributed cabbage for slaw, live chickens for stew and vegetables
- The first year 325 pounds of pork was cooked over an open fire in a field (today - 15,000 pounds cooked)
- It was cooked over open coals and 15 foot shovels were used to keep the coal churned and burning
- The first section of the current BBQ pits was built in 1952
- Ticket Sales - students are rewarded for efforts
- Move Boxes - students in fifth grade haul boxes from the Ag building to be used in the take out lines
- Fifth graders also help sell desserts and drinks in the gym eat in area on the day of the BBQ
- Learning opportunities in the classroom
- Mini Field Trip - Walk around the pits as the BBQ is cooking to observe the process
- Art - Advertisement Posters
Unionville Fire Department provides security and puts out traffic signs such as eat in, take out signs placed at intersections in the community.Volunteer Opportunities
- Bag Bread
- Warm/Season Pork
- Cook Pork
- Friday Cleanup
- Make Slaw
- Make Brunswick Stew
- Pork on Pits
- Prep Take-Outs
- Serve in Gym
- Thursday Gym Cleanup
- Chip & Cool
- Saturday Cleanup
- Work Take Out
- Pack Staff Orders
- 14,500 pounds of Boston Butt ordered from Institutional Food House (IFH)
- Transportaion after cooking
- Once the pork is fully cooked, it is transported to the gym for chipping and cooling.
- From there it is put on the ref. truck in bread trays to be cooled
- Friday morning it is moved again to the gym kitchen where it is reheated and seasoned. Once the pork is seasoned it is ready for packing.
Wednesday night 6:00pm
- Start the fire and put coals in the pits
- Mop down the pits with high temperature vegetable oil
- Pits are covered and the racks burned for cleaning
- Pits are fired up again to dry out the pits afte the cleaning process
Wednesday night 10:00pm
- Pit crew leaves
- Two additional people come in at 2:00am
- Pits are fired again so the coals will be ready the next morning
Thursday morning 4:30am
- Boston Butts are placed on the pits for cooking
- 18-20 volunteers show up to help with this process
- Pork cooks for 4 hours and then turned
- Total cooking time is 8-10 hours