How to Apply
Application Process for 2018-2019 School Year
- Eligibility results for the upcoming lottery were emailed on 6/15/18 to the email address parents provided. If you did not receive an email, please contact the school on Monday morning (6/18/18) at 704-296-3088.
- Students who auditioned for Theatre or Dance received admission information on 6/14/18 via the email address parents provided. Families of children who were admitted should respond to the admission offer within 48 hours of the email.
Click on the links below for more information for the 2018-2019 school year.
Information about 2018-2019 Academies at Central Academy is available below (scroll down to bottom).
Application window for the 2018-2019 lottery for admission to Central Academy is from February 12, 2018 at 9:00 am to Monday April 30, 2018 at 5:00 pm.
- Central Academy of Technology & Arts is a public, magnet school in Union County Public Schools.
- Bus Transportation is available to students for Central Academy of Technology & Arts.
- Students entering Central Academy complete all UCPS requirements for a NC High School Diploma in addition to the required Academy courses for the Academy they are enrolled in.
- Central Academy Counselors visited every UCPS middle school to speak with eighth grade students in November and December 2017.
- 2018 - 2019 Application Period is scheduled for: 9:00 am Monday, February 12, 2018 through 5:00 pm on April 30, 2018. (These deadlines are firm and we strongly suggest that families complete the application well in advance of the deadline as we cannot make exceptions for technology issues.)
- Information on requirements, offerings, and lottery/audition process is available by clicking on the link below.
- Students may only be admitted to CATA at the start of the Ninth and Tenth Grade years.
- Here's the video that was shown during this year's CATA Crawl nights. If you were unable to attend one of the crawl nights, please check out this video.
- Due to the large number of students interested in visiting Central Academy, we offer a "CATA Crawl" for all students in the county. We do not offer individual tours. It is strongly recommended that you attend this evening. Here are the school assignments for the CATA Crawl nights:
- Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 6:30-8:00 pm, Sun Valley MS, Marvin Ridge MS, East Union MS
- Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 6:30-8:00 pm, Porter Ridge MS, Cuthbertson MS, Piedmont MS
- Tuesday, February 27, 2018 @ 6:30-8:00 pm, Parkwood MS, Weddington MS, Monroe MS
- Students not currently enrolled in a UCPS middle school, but eligible to attend, should go to the night scheduled for the home school that they would attend if enrolled. Students that cannot attend the scheduled night due to a conflict can certainly attend one of the other nights scheduled.
- Questions? Call or email Ms. Tammy Tweed in our guidance department. Ms. Tweed can answer your question or direct you to the correct counselor. 704-296-3088 or email@example.com
- The 9th Grade application period is from 2/12 (9:00 am) through 4/30 (5:00 pm). The link for the application will appear here: Click Here for 9th Grade
- (Please note that all rising 9th grade applications received during the application period will be assigned a random lottery number to determine order for the lottery.)
- The 10th Grade application period opens on 2/12 (9:00 am) and will remain open until 4/30 (5:00 pm). The link for the application will appear here: Click Here for 10th Grade
- (Please note that rising 10th grade applications are considered in the order they are received. It is advised that you apply as close to the opening of the application period as possible.)
- The lottery for entry in the 2018-2019 school year will be on Monday June 25, 2018 at 9:00 am. This is open to all families that applied. The lottery is also streamed so that you can watch it from your home or business. The lottery typically lasts about 90 minutes.
- Notification of eligibility to be entered into the lottery - for those students applying for a lottery-based academy (all information Systems, Medical Science, Pre-Engineering, and Transportation Academies, and for the Music Production and Recording Arts Pathway) notification of eligibility will be emailed to parents by the week prior to the lottery. It is the parent's responsibility to check their email regularly and to call the school if they do not receive notification that their child is one of the following:
- eligible to enter the lottery process
- not eligible to enter the lottery (this ends the process for these students)
- placed on a waiting list for open slots that are not filled through the lottery
Parents with questions about the eligibility determination must email the provided address within 48 hours of notification to appeal.
- Students applying to Theatre Arts Academy and Dance Academy must meet basic entry requirements for the school and be recommended for admission by CATA Staff based on the audition process. Those recommended for the limited spots who meet the entrance requirements will be offered spaces first. Those who meet audition requirements but are not recommended on the first round will be placed on a waiting list should spaces remain. Those who do not meet audition requirements and/or general admission requirements will be notified. Families will be notified of eligibility and recommendation the week prior to the lottery. It is the parent's responsibility to check their email regularly and call the school if they do not receive notification.
- Students applying to Theatre and Dance must audition. Students applying to MPRA may have to complete a musical assessment if they were not in a year-long Band or Chorus class in 8th grade. Students applying to Transportation Academies must complete an interview. Our school staff, led by Ms. Tweed, will contact each family to schedule a time for the appropriate audition/interview/assessment. Families are welcome to call CATA at 704-296-3088 starting Monday 3/12 to schedule the time as well.
- Academy Pathways 2018-2019- Shows courses students would take each year for their academy (course offerings are reviewed each year, with sequence or course selection occasionally changing).
- Rising Ninth Grade Admission Criteria for 2018-2019 Contains the following topics: Admission Criteria for school and specific academies, Application Period, Lottery Process, Notification and Acceptance procedures, Performing Arts Academies procedures.
- Rising TENTH Grade Admission Criteria for 2018-2019 Contains the following topics: Admission Criteria for school and specific academies, Application Period, Notification and Acceptance procedures, Performing Arts Academies procedures.