Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to join the Air Force if I enroll in AFJROTC?
There is no military obligation when you join AFJROTC!
What is the mission of AFJROTC?
The mission of the AFJROTC program is to develop citizens of character dedicated to serving their nation and community.
What do you learn in AFJROTC?
During class, cadets learn about the history of aviation, aviation programs, military aircraft, military customs, and leadership. But more importantly, cadets learn excellent work habits, social skills, and teamwork.
Aerospace Science and Survival are taught by
Major Gregg Jones (USAF-Ret)
Leadership and Social Skills are taught by
- First Aid, Drug & Alcohol Awareness, anti-bullying presentations to PWMS and CMS students
- School beautification (campus cleanup)
-Union County Christmas Bureau
- Four drill meets each year for the drill team and color guard
- Two sports competitions each year against other Union County JROTC units
Parades and Special Presentations:
- Veterans Day programs
- Waxhaw Christmas Parade
- Presentation of colors at PWHS home football games
-Rifle Arch at football homecoming
Recent Field Trips:
- NC Air National Guard Base in Charlotte (C-130 aeromedical evacuation training flight)
- Shaw AFB SC (F-16)
- Charleston AFB SC (C-17)
- Warbirds over Monroe Air Show at Charlotte-Monroe Executive Airport
- Patriots Point Naval and Maritime Museum (including USS Yorktown aircraft carrier), Mount Pleasant SC
- Schiele Museum of Natural History and Planetarium, Gastonia
- Charlotte Motor Speedway
- iFLY indoor skydiving
Summer Leadership School:
Cadet Leadership School at Blue Ridge Challenge, Black Mountain, NC
What are the benefits of taking AFJROTC?
- Leadership training
- Learn about the military with no obligation to enter
- Skip 1-2 pay grades upon enlistment in armed services (worth up to $280/month)
- Competitive edge for AFROTC scholarships at colleges and universities
- College credit opportunities through University of Colorado
- Competitive edge for service academy appointments
- High school academic credit
- High school honors credit
- Make new friends!
- Make memories that last a lifetime!