Senior Year Timeline
- Check school email and Canvas MRHS Counselors Corner frequently as vital information is sent on a regular basis
- Enroll in appropriately challenging courses to round out your transcript
- Attend your "Senior Meeting"
- Attend College Visits both virtually and in person
- Stay active in clubs, sports, volunteer roles, and jobs
- Continue Leadership Roles
- Take the SAT and/or ACT one last time
- Watch admission deadlines and apply on time to your “reach,” “safety,” and “match” schools
- Update your portfolio/resume
- Ask 2-3 teachers with whom you have a positive relationship for letters of recommendation
- Ask early to give ample time as many teachers cap the amount of letters they are able to effectively write
- Sign your FERPA (Federal Education Right to Privacy Act) Waiver if you choose to waive your rights to view your recommendations (recommended)
- Complete the FAFSA and CSS if necessary
- Apply even if you do not plan to accept financial aid as the FAFSA is required for many merit and needs based scholarships
- Apply for Scholarships
- Complete all core courses required to graduate
- Keep going strong until graduation. Don’t slack off in your second semester of senior year, even if you’ve already been accepted to college. Schools have been known to rescind (take away) admission from students who posted poor grades in their second semester. Don’t let this happen to you!
- Limit mid-year schedule changes.
- Report all scholarship awards using the Post-Secondary Resources page
- Registering for College Visits - https://scoir.helpdocs.io/article/25t0q2lm0x-registering-for-a-visit
- Requesting Letters of Recommendation- https://scoir.helpdocs.io/article/8a5m6p2fd4-requesting-teacher-recommendations
If you have already begun the application process on Common App or Coalition please reference the information below for working with SCOIR and those platforms.
You can add your Common App / Coalition App ID to your SCOIR profile.
- Scoir Student Help Docs
- Scoir Student Exercises
- Scoir Guide to Completing the Common App (PDF) - How to complete Recommenders and FERPA, Fee Waiver, and Early Decision Contracts
- Scoir Guide to the Common App Video (~15min.)
- Scoir Guide to Completing the Coalition App
- How to request a transcript
- PLEASE READ: "Is it ok to drop a high school course?"
- CollegeData: College Search, Financial Aid, College Application, College Scholarship, Student Loan, FAFSA Info, Common Application
- College Board's 12th Grade College Planning Timeline
- Explore colleges using College Navigator
- Learn about selecting college majors HERE!