CACRAO Virtual College FairWe are pleased to announce that the CACRAO (Carolinas Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) is partnering with StriveScan for Spring 2021 Virtual College Fairs. Student registration will launch in mid-March (more details to come), but we wanted to go ahead and send you this SAVE THE DATE for three upcoming events. We are adopting StriveScan’s 6x6 Virtual College Fair format for these events, which allows your students to hear from a wide range of institutions in a lively and safe environment.March 25, 2021 (5:00 PM–7:45 PM): Virtual College Fair for all NC/SC HIGH SCHOOL StudentsApril 19, 2021 (5:00 PM–7:45 PM): Virtual College Fair for all NC/SC HIGH SCHOOL Students
Senior Year Timeline
- Check school email and Canvas MRHS Counselors Corner frequently as vital information is sent on a regular basis
- Enroll in appropriately challenging courses to round out your transcript
- Attend MRHS Senior Planning Night in September
- Attend your "Senior Meeting" with your counselor in September to discuss college application process
- Attend College Visits both virtually and in person
- Stay active in clubs, sports, volunteer roles, and jobs
- Continue Leadership Roles
- Take the SAT and/or ACT one last time
- Watch admission deadlines and apply on time to your “reach,” “safety,” and “match” schools
- Update your portfolio/resume
- Ask 2-3 teachers with whom you have a positive relationship for letters of recommendation
- Ask early to give ample time as many teachers cap the amount of letters they are able to effectively write
- Sign your FERPA (Federal Education Right to Privacy Act) Waiver if you choose to waive your rights to view your recommendations (recommended)
- Complete the FAFSA and CSS if necessary
- Apply even if you do not plan to accept financial aid as the FAFSA is required for many merit and needs based scholarships
- Attend MRHS Financial Aid Night in December
- Apply for Scholarships & Submit Nomination Request Form for NC Scholarships
- Complete all core courses required to graduate
- Keep going strong until graduation. Don’t slack off in your second semester of senior year, even if you’ve already been accepted to college. Schools have been known to rescind (take away) admission from students who posted poor grades in their second semester. Don’t let this happen to you!
- Limit mid-year schedule changes.
- Report all scholarship awards using the Google Form link!
Senior Night 2020
- Senior Night took place on Thursday, September 3rd, 2020 at 6:30 p.m.
- Senior Night Presentation 2020
- Senior Planning Guide
FAFSA & Financial AidMRHS School Counseling hosted FAFSA & Financial Aid Night on Tuesday, October 13th, 2020 at 6p.m. Ms. Allison Wilkinson and Ms. Tammy Smith, Financial Aid Technicians at South Piedmont Community College hosted this event. Their presentation from FAFSA & Financial Aid Night 2020-2021 can be viewed on the Scholarships & Financial Aid page.
- Overview of financial aid process
- New FAFSA details
- The importance of the FAFSA
- Step-by-step instructions for filling out the FAFSA
- How to request a transcript
- PLEASE READ: "Is it ok to drop a high school course?"
- Scholarships: Please report ALL scholarships earned here: SCHOLARSHIP REPORTING FORM. Include academic, merit, athletic, corporate, community based scholarships, etc. Email Ms. Parks with questions. More here: Scholarships & Financial Aid.
- CollegeData: College Search, Financial Aid, College Application, College Scholarship, Student Loan, FAFSA Info, Common Application
- College Board's 12th Grade College Planning Timeline
- Explore colleges using College Navigator
- Learn about selecting college majors HERE!