Senior Tips and Information
Senior Night 2020 took place on Thursday, September 3rd, 2020 at 6:30 p.m. This year's Senior Night presentation and our Senior Planning Guide can be found below.FAFSA & Financial Aid Night
MRHS School Counseling hosted FAFSA & Financial Aid Night on Tuesday, October 13th, 2020 at 6p.m. Ms. Allison Wilkinson and Ms. Tammy Smith, Financial Aid Technicians at South Piedmont Community College hosted this event.
Their presentation from FAFSA & Financial Aid Night 2020-2021 can be viewed on the "Scholarships & Financial Aid" page.
- Overview of financial aid process
- New FAFSA details
- The importance of the FAFSA
- Step-by-step instructions for filling out the FAFSA
- Information on requesting transcripts can be found on the Transcripts page.
- PLEASE READ: Information on dropping courses mid-year - "Is it ok to drop a high school course?"
- Scholarships: Please begin self reporting any Scholarships you receive on this Google Form. Include academic scholarships, merit based scholarships, athletic scholarships, college scholarships, etc. You may e-mail Ms. Parks with any questions. More information on scholarships can be found on the Scholarships & Financial Aid page.
Senior Year Timeline
- Continue to enroll in challenging courses. Remember universities will look at the classes you take in your senior year!
- Stay active in clubs and/or sports. Look for leadership roles in both!
- Take the SAT and/or ACT early in the school year, especially when applying for early action.
- Listen for colleges visiting MRHS on the announcements and sign up in guidance.
- Apply to your “dream,” “safety,” and “match” schools. Watch for admission deadlines and apply on time.
- Ask teachers for college recommendations. Pick 2-3 teachers (at least one core class teacher)—preferably ones who know you very well—and give them plenty of advanced notice before the application is due.
- Update your portfolio/resume with leadership roles, volunteer hours, awards, etc. Make sure to give these to teachers/counselors you are asking to write recommendation letters for you.
- Attend the MRHS Senior Planning Night in September.
- Attend the MRHS Financial Aid Night in December. Fill out the FAFSA, and if necessary, the CSS Profile. These documents will make you eligible to receive financial aid from colleges.
- Apply for scholarships. Scholarship Newsletters are updated bi-monthly on the MRHS School Counseling Website.
- Keep going strong until graduation. Don’t slack off in your second semester of senior year, even if you’ve already been accepted to college. Schools have been known to rescind (take away) admission from students who posted poor grades in their second semester. Don’t let this happen to you! Limit mid-year schedule changes.
- Report all scholarship awards using the Google Form link!
- CollegeData: College Search, Financial Aid, College Application, College Scholarship, Student Loan, FAFSA Info, Common Application
- Link to College Board's 12th Grade College Planning Timeline
- Explore colleges using College Navigator
- Check out http://www.collegemajors101.com/ to get more information on several different majors!