College and Career Promise (SPCC)

  • spcc  



    SPCC classes (Career & College Program for high school students) for summer and fall registration will be as follows:

    • March 12th for current CCP students 
    • March 26th for new CCP students (you have never taken a SPCC class before) 
      • Must have SPCC application completed and submitted (can do at home or with Ms. Rape)
        • Be sure to select the CCP program under "Enrollment" tab!
      • Must have test scores, FERPA and transcript submittted (see Ms. Rape)
      • Complete this Google Form to notify guidance you are interested! 




    Career and College Program Guide, CLICK HERE.  What this guide can tell you:

    • Specific pathways (Career & Technical Education and College Transfer Courses)
    • Testing and academic requirements




    The Career and College Promise Program allows high school students who qualify to enroll in community college courses while still attending their home school. These courses can be used for dual credit in order to meet high school graduation requirements as well as accumulating towards an associate’s degree or as a plan to meet general education requirements in the college or university setting.  Union County Public Schools coordinate through South Piedmont Community College for this dual enrollment experience.  
    Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA to qualify for the program.  There are two types of classes students can choose: Career and Technical and/or College Transfer.  Students that have a qualifying test score and take the College Transfer classes (these are considered gen ed type classes). Students without a qualifying test score can either take a placement test at SPCC or take Career and Technical classes.  Union County Public Schools pays the tuition and the books for students who qualify for either program.  Books must be returned or a fee will incur.  
    How do students take these classes?
    Either online or face to face at the SPCC campus. There are times when SPCC comes to PWHS campus to teach specific classes.  If students opt to take classes face-to-face at SPCC, the PWHS schedule will take priority.  Usually students try to select classes first or fourth block to avoid conflicts with PWHS schedule. 
    Do any CCP classes count toward high school graduation requirements? 
    Yes!  Any math class taken through CCP as listed in the College Transfer courses will count as a student's 4th math requirement for graduation.  Same for American History I and II.  Click here for a complete listing of courses that replace high school courses. 
    Can students take summer school classes through Career and College Promise?
    Yes! Only Junior and Senior students can take summer classes.  Seniors who opt for summer school classes will not have books provided, but tuition will be paid. 
    How will I know if the CCP credit is taken by my chosen college?
    Career and College Promise is a NC incentive to provide quality education its students and to keep students in NC.  Therefore, most NC colleges accept the College Transfer courses for credit.  To be sure, visit your college of choice and review the community college articulation agreements. Out of state colleges do not have to honor CCP courses for credit, but may. Students must make at least a "C" in the course for transfer consideration.  
    Should I take AP or CCP?  
    This is a personal choice that students and parents should discuss. Students do not have to take an "AP" type exam to receive potential credit.  Students must make at least a "C" in the course for transfer consideration.  
    Before registering for any of these courses, students should consult their guidance counselor on how these credits will be factored into his/her historical grades.  Not all career and college promise courses receive accelerated quality points for the purposes of calculating a student's grade point average.  The links below contain information on the most current course offerings approved by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.   




    Students who are interested in the Career & College Promise program, but do not meet the eligibilty criteria listed on the Program Guide (page 25) you can choose to retest at SPCC for free. 


    If you met the criteria for English, but not math, you can take a college placement test at SPCC in the math portion only and vice versa. You can choose to take the entire test (Reading and Math), if needed.  

    • WHat is a College Placement Test? CLICK HERE
    • Click HERE for a placement test study guide
    • Click HERE to sign up to take a placement test (must have completed your SPCC application) at SPCC




    To request disability services while taking SPCC classes, click HERE, for the application. 

     Students are responsibile in setting up disability services with SPCC, not Parkwood High School. 

     To learn the differences between high school and college disability services, specifically at SPCC, click HERE.