Seniors should check school email regularly and read the Wolf Pack Press sent weekly!
- Start your applications - most open up in August!
- Many applications are due in October and November for a December or January decision.
- Be sure to review college requirements for those you are considering. Do you have the high school credits required for admission to their college?
- Review last year's freshman profile to see the average GPA and test scores of students who were admitted for this school year? Does your GPA and test scores fall within that range?
- Remember that whatever classes you put down as your "Senior classes" should not change once the application is submitted. Many colleges make decisions based on classes you are taking in the spring semester.
- If you took SPCC classes, you have taken college classes and must report those classes and grades when asked.
Common application questions:
- 10 point grading scale
- College Prep Track
- GPA and Rank are weighted, which are exact
- PWHS does not limit your Honors or AP courses per year
- PWHS operates on a 4 X 4 block schedule
- PWHS school code (CEEB) is 342662
- Can only be requested through SCOIR! As you move the college to your applying list, you verify you are giving permission for the counselor to send your transcript. How to use SCOIR to request a transcript.
- Only ask teachers for a recommendation IF the college requires one. Otherwise, the college will most likely not review the recommendation.
- When asking teachers for a recommendation, give them at least 2 weeks notice.
- Recommendations are only requested and sent through SCOIR. How to request teacher recommendations in SCOIR
- Think outside the box and be creative with college essays!
- Be sure you address the prompt and do not stay on task!
- If there is a word limit, be sure to abide!
- Have someone else read your essay!
- You have to send your own test scores to each college from College Board www.collegeboard.org for SAT and/or www.ACT.org for ACT scores.
- Each score that is sent will cost about $12
- As the name states, you complete one application that can be sent to multiple colleges.
- Not all colleges use this service.
- When listing your counselor and teachers, do not put our email in. You have to use SCOIR to request transcripts and recommendations. Using Common App with SCOIR
- Access this tutorial on how to access SCOIR: https://bit.ly/activatescoir
- Getting Started with SCOIR webpage - UCPS has created a webpage to help you with all aspects of SCOIR
- Also called dual enrollment
- You do not send a SPCC transcript until the end of the year unless requested by the college when applying!
- You will need to request your SPCC transcript from spcc, https://spcc.edu/student-records/transcripts/, and send to your selected college in June.
- PWHS cannot send your SPCC transcript.