• sduj


    What is Financial Aid

    • Financial aid is money to help pay for college (2-year or 4-year) or trade/career school.

    Types of Financial Aid

    • Grants - Money that does not have to be repaid. Can come from a variety of sources such as the college, state or federal government.
    • Work-Study - Program that allows you to pay for school while working part-time.
    • Loans - Money borrowed to pay for college that must be repaid.
    • Scholarships - Colleges and many nonprofit and private organizations offer scholarships to help students pay for college or career school.  Scholarships may be based on academic merit, talent or program of student.  Also see PWHS scholarship list.

    When to Apply - www.FAFSA.gov 

    • Seniors can apply for financial aid beginning in December 2023 for the 24-25 school year.  The application used is the FAFSA-Free Application for Federal Student Aid.  It is available online at www.fafsa.gov. Students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible once the new application is available.  Make sure you check with the colleges you are applying to for their deadlines.  You may print a pre-application worksheet for Web filers from the website. 
    • You and your parent/guardian can also prepare by applying for a US Department of Education FSA ID at https://studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account/launch. Your FSA ID enables both you and your parent/guardian to sign your FAFSA electronically.  There is also information about federal student aid on this site.  If you prefer to file a paper copy, you can download a form from the website or request a paper copy by calling 1-800-433-3242.  This is a free application. Be sure to go through the official website.  Watch for websites wanting to charge you!

    CSS Profile

    • Certain Colleges require the PROFILE to be filed along with the FAFSA.  The North Carolina schools that require it are Davidson College, Duke University, Elon University, Lenior-Rhyne University, NC A&T State University, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Wake Forest University.  There are also specific scholarships that require the PROFILE.  Registrations for PROFILE are accepted beginning October 1st.  Application can be found at www.collegeboard.org.  You cannot actually file the PROFILE until after October 1 of the senior year.

    Financial Aid Websites: