**Did you miss the FAFSA night on November 8th? You can see the PowerPoint presentation here, FAFSA Night.
PWHS will hold a FAFSA completion day on Friday, October 27th for student. During homeroom, students will have the opportunity to begin or finish their FAFSA. FAFSA is required for any financial aid, including certain scholarships and grants. To apply for FAFSA, go to www.fafsa.ed.gov.
To complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will need:
- Your Social Security Number
- Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned. (Note: You may be able to transfer your federal tax return information into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- An FSA ID to sign electronically. (Create FSA ID before applying to FAFSA by clicking here)
FAFSA day is October 28th! Click below to view a YouTube video from our state superintendent, Mark Johnson about FAFSA Day! FAFSA Day Notice
Look at financial aid as an umbrella that covers merit aid, need-based aid, work-study aid, grants, loans, and such.
- Need-based aid comes from the FAFSA information gathered from tax information you entered.
- Merit aid is scholarships colleges are willing to give a student based on their aacademic performance and test scores.
- Grants are often based on financial need and do not have to be paidf back.
- Work-Study, if a student qualifies, is a job on the college campus to help alleviate college expenses.
- There are two types of loans:
- Student Loans
- Parent Loans
What are Pell Grants? These loans are considered need based grants and do not have to be repaid.
What are Federal Perkins Loans? These loans are based on exceptional financial need, but will need to be repaid at a 5% interest rate. Students are able to borrow up to $5,500. For current interest rates and details, go to StudentAid.gov/perkins.
What are Federal Direct Stafford Loans? These loans will need to be repaid and are either subsidized or unsubsidized.
- Subsidized Loans are for students with financial need; US Department of Education agrees to pay the interest while student is in school and during grace periods. For current interest rates and details, go to StudentAid.gov/sub-unsub .
- Unsubsidized Loans are for students that do not demonstrate financial need, interest must be paid while they attend college. For current interest rates and details, go to StudentAid.goc/sub-unsub.
FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is required by all 2 and 4-year colleges and universities for financial aid opportunities.
To apply for FAFSA beginning October 1, 2017, click here. You hould have your "prior prior year" tax records to help complete the FAFSA process.
Common FAQ's of FAFSA as reported by Money magazine.
Want to an idea of your FAFSA outcome? Try the FAFSA4caster here!
- Never pay money to get money!
- Click on this link to get further tips in avoiding scams!
You will need your parent(s) tax information to compelte the FAFSA, even if your parents are not planning to help financially with your college expenses. The following are a few common reasons students may not need their parent tax information: student is over 24 year of age, or the student has a child, or the student is active military, or the student is married. The FAFSA website can give you further details on this common question.