HS Transition- Moving from 8th Grade to 9th Grade
Welcome Current 8th Grade Students and Families to Porter Ridge High School!
For non-PRMS 8th grade students wanting to enroll and register for classes at PRHS - Welcome! We are excited you will be joining us. Your first step will be to enroll at Porter Ridge High School.
- Please follow this link to see what materials you will need and to access the enrollment platform as all enrollments must be completed online. Please email our data manager at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions after reviewing the above link.
- We welcome you to look through the material below and once you are officially enrolled our school counselors will reach out to you with instructions on how and when to choose courses for next school year.
- Non-PRMS Students may sign up for a tour group on 3/9 or 3/10 from 4-5pm by calling our guidance department. Additional tour dates of May 10th and May 24th have been added! Please call our guidance department and Ms. Martinez can schedule you for one of these tours. There will also be an opportunity to visit PRHS in August prior to classes starting.
Current Porter Ridge Middle School 8th Grade Students and Families.....
Class of 2026 Setting Sail - pdf version of flyer above
Rising 9th Grade Parent Guide - guide for parents with descriptions and information needed. (en Espanol )
For our 8th grade PRMS students:
We are looking forward to you joining our Pirate Family in the fall. We have created documents and presentations to assist you in the important and timely task of selecting courses for your first year in high school! Please read all information prior to selecting courses so that you are making the best choices for you.
Course Selection Information
Rising 9th Grade Welcome Presentation - ( en Espanol)Our Rising Ninth Grade Welcome Voyage Presentation. Our principal, Dr. Fisenne, provides an overview of high school, graduation requirements, choosing courses and course levels, PR pathways and academies, support in high school, PR as a leadership school, grade point average, being involved in clubs and organizations, and communication in high school. This was the same presentation used at our in-person Rising Ninth Grade nights on 2/15 and 2/16.
Academic Course Plans for Rising 9th Grade - course plans by subject area based on the level of rigor that is appropriate for students in each subject area.
CTE Brochure - Career Technical Education classes at PRHS and academies in UCPS
Graduation Requirements - Class of 2024, 2025, 2026 and beyond
PRHS Pathways & Academies - career pathways and academies at PRHS
UCPS Career Academies - academy programs within UCPS
UCPS Program of Studies - UCPS program information and course descriptions
Information from UCPS on CTE Academies and Pathways in the district
Information from UCPS on Academic and Elective Information in the district
Students were placed in the English, Math, Science & Social Studies course level based on their 8th grade teachers' recommendation.
AP Capstone Diploma Program
Porter Ridge High School participates in the AP Capstone Diploma Program. It's a two-year program based on two AP courses—AP Seminar and AP Research. Other AP courses teach you, in depth, about a specific subject, like biology or U.S. history. AP Seminar and AP Research are different. They focus on helping you develop academic skills you can use in any discipline. Students must take a combination of AP courses that include AP Seminar in the Junior Year and AP Research in the senior year. Students must take a combination of AP courses that include AP Seminar in the Junior Year and AP Research in the senior year.
Participating in AP Capstone can help students:
- Stand out to colleges in the application process.
- Develop key academic skills they’ll use in college and beyond.
- Become self-confident, independent thinkers and problem solvers.
- Earn college credit: Many colleges offer credit for qualifying scores.
PRHS is a Leadership High School
Leader in Me is a:
MODEL The Leader in Me model is a unique blend of timeless paradigms and principles that create schoolwide culture change. The framework guides schools toward achieving measurable results.
PROCESS Leader in Me is a process of continuous growth and improvement. More than just another program, Leader in Me serves as the foundational operating system that improves your current initiatives.
GLOBAL COMMUNITY Leader in Me was created by educators, for educators. The model and process continue to evolve based on collective results from Leader in Me Schools throughout the world and the evolving needs in education today.
- College, Career, and Life Readiness
Leader in Me High School includes four courses, each designed to equip students with the essential skills they need to succeed. The habits and competencies developed in each of the courses are listed below.
Clubs and Special Interests Page
Students have the opportunity to get involved in High School in many different ways. Research shows that students who are involved in school or other community organizations excel more in academics and in areas of social-emotional health.
To view student-created videos or read information about our clubs, athletics, or arts programs please click here.
To go to the Athletics website please click here.
To see more information on our academic programs, such as AFJROTC, Pathways, Academies, or AP Capstone program please click here.
To see the Band website please click here.
To see more information about the Air Force JROTC Program that Porter Ridge and Piedmont High Schools partner in please click here.
To view the inside of Porter Ridge High School and to meet some of our staff and students, you are welcome to
- view a short tour of PRHS created by our student council
- PRHS has arranged tours for current PRMS students - please see the Class of 2026 Flyer above