Welcome to the CATA Counseling, College, and Career CenterMission StatementOur mission is to assist students in the areas of personal, academic, and vocational exploration and growth. We are available to students and their parents by office visit, telephone call, or email. We encourage you to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have and we look forward to getting to know students and parents as the school year progresses.Virtual Sophomore Night Sign-Up: Please complete this form if you are interested in attending the virtual Sophomore Night on April 11 at 6:30pmRemember the Holocaust Honors Interest Form: Please complete this form if you are interested in taking Remember the Holocaust Honors next school year.I Want to Be a Peer Tutor: Complete this form if you are interested in being a peer tutor. A counselor will be in touch with you once we have a student to pair you with.I Need a Peer Tutor: Complete this form if you need a peer tutor for a class. A counselor will be in touch once we have a tutor to pair you with.Canvas resources - If you're having trouble navigating Canvas, or just want to learn more about it, click the link for a list of resources provided by UCPS.CounselorsAshley Cole - Dance Academy, Theatre Academy, Pre-Engineering Academy, Department ChairSarah "Sally" Goodwin - Information Systems Academy, Music Production and Recording Arts AcademyStephanie Graham – Medical Sciences Academy, Transportation Systems Academy, 504 CoordinatorCounseling SecretaryCareer Development CoordinatorData ManagerFollow us on Twitter! @CATA_Counseling / @CATAcareersFollow us on Instagram! @cata.counseling / @catacareersThe guidance department has created informational posters that highlight academic programs at most of the colleges and universities in North Carolina that correspond with the academies at CATA. Each academy has its own poster. There is also a separate poster that highlights the top schools in the country for academy-related programs. These posters can also be found inside the school, right outside of the Online Lab. Click the link above to view the online version of the posters.Our Career Development Coordinator created the CATA to Career posters, which highlight the various professions that correspond with the academies at CATA. Each academy has its own poster. Each poster lists related jobs and what kind of degree is required for that job. These posters can also be found inside the school, down the left main hallway at the front of the school. Click the link above to view the online version of the posters.Academy PathwaysThese documents outline the course sequence for each academy. They may vary by year so please choose your graduation year to ensure you have an accurate sequence.
School counselors recognize their primary obligation for confidentiality is to the student but balance that obligation with an understanding of the family or guardians’ legal and inherent rights to be the guiding voice in their children’s lives (ASCA Code of Ethics).
The role of the school counselor in regards to confidentiality is:
- To support the students right to privacy and protect confidential information received from students, the family, guardian and staff members
- To explain the meaning and limits of confidentiality to students in developmentally appropriate terms
- To provide appropriate disclosure and informed consent regarding the counseling relationship and confidentiality
- To inform students and the family of the limits to confidentiality when: Student poses a danger to self or others, Court ordered disclosure, Consultation with other professionals in support of the student i.e. colleagues, supervisors, treatment teams, and other support personnel
- To keep personal notes separate from educational records and not disclose their contents except when privacy exceptions exist
- To seek guidance from supervisors and appropriate legal advice when their records are subpoenaed
- To assert their belief that information shared by students is “confidential” and should not be revealed without the student’s consent
- To adhere to all laws protecting student records, health information, and special services (i.e., HIPAA, FERPA, IDEA)