Welcome to Union County Public Schools, the sixth-largest district in North Carolina that serves approximately 42,000 students and employs approximately 5,000 dedicated individuals. As one of the top-performing school districts in North Carolina, UCPS leads the Charlotte region and the 12 largest school districts in a number of academic performance areas.
Our goal is to provide high-quality instruction each daysafe learning environment for all students. Through a number of academic programs and support services, students have the opportunity to reach their full potential with the guidance of experienced educators.
in innovative learning. In addition to core subjects, students can select from a broad range of academic programs to meet their unique needs and aspirations. These programs include opportunities in the arts, career and technical education, advanced placement classes, career-focused academies, early college and dual-enrollment courses with local colleges and universities.
The UCPS Portrait of a Graduate is a roadmap for students in all grades. It highlights five essential skills they will need in school The focus areas leader, a resilient problem-solver, a key contributor, an effective communicator and a skilled collaborator. It prepares students for their next steps, whether it's college, military service or employment.
Union County Public Schools (UCPS) is proud to offer a variety of academic programming to students of all levels. Academic options include:
- 30 dual-language programs
- More than 44 pathways and 24 academies through Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- Benton Heights Elementary School of the Arts
- International Baccalaureate Programs
- Union County Early College
- Central Academy of Technology and Arts
- Health Sciences Academy
- AgTech Academy
- Sustainable Energy Academy
- and much more!
- 92.3% graduation rate
- Among the 12 largest districts, UCPS ranks the highest in 3 – 8 Math EOGs, 3 – 8 Reading EOGs, 3 – 8 Science EOGs, all EOCs combined, overall proficiency, four-year Cohort Graduation Rate and ACT/Workkeys combined
- UCPS ranks number two in the state in overall proficiency at 69.3 percent
- Students earned 12,981 CTE credentials in 2022-2023, compared to 11,135 in 2021-2022
- Superintendent Dr. Andrew G. Houlihan, 2022 Southwest Regional Superintendent of the Year
- Six Leader in Me Lighthouse Schools: Benton Heights Elementary School of the Arts, Indian Trail Elementary, Prospect Elementary, Rocky River Elementary, Sandy Ridge Elementary and Sun Valley Middle.
- 2019 Sandy Hook Promise Start with Hello District Winner