• Dual Language Immersion Banner

    Union County Public Schools (UCPS) has language immersion programs in 30 schools and two languages. Students enter the programs through a lottery conducted during the kindergarten registration process. Preferences for the lottery are based on the student's home address and home school assignment. Students who have older siblings in a language immersion program are given a seat in the immersion program at the same school. For additional information about the Dual Language Immersion (DLI) kindergarten lottery, please review admission guidelines

DLI Programs

  • Kindergarten Dual Language Immersion Lottery

  • One-way Mandarin immersion programs

  • One-way Spanish immersion programs

  • Two-way Spanish immersion programs

  • Middle schools with immersion continuation programs

  • High schools with DLI students continuing into World Language


  • UCPS partners with Participate Learning to provide support for Dual Language Immersion. Participate Learning partners with schools and districts to provide dual language curriculum resources, teacher training, overseas hiring and support services. For 30 years, educators have used Participate Learning’s professional development and curriculum, language acquisition and cultural exchange teacher programs to create engaging learning environments that empower teachers and inspire students to create an impact on a global scale. Participate Learning is headquartered in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who can participate in the immersion lottery process? Can students entering Grades 1-5 participate in the lottery?

  • Are younger siblings of students currently in the immersion program guaranteed a seat in that program?

  • How can I participate in the lottery?

  • When are parent information meetings for each of the programs?

  • Is transportation to these programs provided?

  • What factors are considered in the lottery?

  • Considerations

  • What happens in middle school and high school for DLI students?

  • If I have concerns that are specific to my school, who should I contact?