Union County Public Schools is conducting a survey to get input for the 2023-2024 traditional academic calendar. We encourage you to read the following information and learn about the calendar planning process and related statutory requirements.
Once you review the information, please select your preference for the 2023 - 2024 calendar below.
- State Law G.S. 115C-84.2 requires that students start school no earlier than the Monday closest to August 26 and end no later than the Friday closest to June 11. Additional requirements in the law limit the flexibility local school districts have when planning the school calendar.
- The calendar must have a minimum of 185 days or 1,025 hours of instruction (both calendars are developed based on hours).
- The calendar must have at least nine (9) teacher workdays.
- Veterans Day shall be a holiday for all public school personnel and all public schools.
- The total number of days for staff must equal 215 days.
Scroll down to review the draft calendars. The survey will close Monday, Nov. 28 at 11:59 p.m. Survey results will be shared with the Board of Education and the district’s senior leadership team. The Board of Education will discuss the calendar in January and approval is expected in February.
Learn more about school calendar legislation.