Exceptional Children's School Social Work

  • EC Social Workers support Union County Public Schools by strengthening the home/school/community partnership and addressing barriers to student learning.

    Direct Services provided to students with disabilities and their families:

    • Assess and address the needs of families
    • IEP team participant, meet with parents individually, home visits, phone contacts made to help families get connected with community resources
    • Referrals made to community agencies, advocacy with agencies on behalf of students and families, follow-up of services
    • Case management is often necessary for students with involved situations, of separate settings (self-contained programs).
    • Liaison for school/family with various community agencies: i.e.-Partners Behavioral Health), CAP-C and CAP-AD,  Respite Providers, the ARC, etc. 
    • On call for crisis intervention
    • Home visits as needed are made with the possible purpose of  encouraging parents' involvement/attendance in the IEP process, student attendance issues, clarifying special education procedures, assessing medical and mental health needs/referrals,  supplying resources for failed vision/hearing screenings
    • Assist parents with outside placements and serve as an agency representative.  Provide requested information to parents concerning various  programs in N.C.
    • Assist families with the process of  legal guardianship for students attaining the age of 18
    • Consultation and collaboration on behalf of students and families in other responsibilities within the EC department and with other school staff
    • Coordinate  4-H clubs sponsored holiday parties, Operation Arc Angel wish lists, and nominations


    If you have a question and/or a concern and would like to be contacted by one of the EC School Social Workers, please click the confidential link below:

    Confidential Parent Contact Form 

Exceptional Children's School Social Work

  • EC social workers help students to:

  • EC social workers support families to:

  • EC social workers assist educators to:

Emergency Resources

  • Say Something App Reporting System (SS-ARS) students and adults can easily and completely confidentially report safety concerns to help prevent violence and tragedies. Tips can be submitted 24/7 through the website, app, or by phone, and a crisis center reviews and sends all submissions to law enforcement and/or school administration for intervention.

    The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline  1-800-273-8255

    Optum has a toll-free 24-hour Emotional Support Help Line at 866-342-6892 for people who may be experiencing anxiety or stress around COVID-19. 

    Partners Crisis Line (mental health referrals-multiple languages) 1-888-235-HOPE (4673). 

    DayMark Mobile Engagement (Mental Health Crisis 24/7) 1-866-275-9552 

    Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746. (TTY 1-800-846-8517) 

    National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 or text LOVEIS to 2252

Parent Resources

  • Abuse and Neglect Prevention

  • Adult Education Series

  • Advocacy Groups

  • Counseling/Therapy Centers/Mental Health Resources

  • Developmental Disabilities

  • Emergency Resources

  • Employment Services

  • Financial Needs/Emergency Assistance

  • Special Transportation

  • Summer Camps

  • Support Groups

  • Transition to Adulthood

  • Vision/Hearing Services

  • Other Services

Student & Staff Resources