Exceptional Children's School Social Work
EC Social Workers support Union County Public Schools by strengthening the home/school/community partnership and addressing barriers to student learning.
Direct Services provided to students with disabilities and their families:
- Assess and address the needs of families
- IEP team participant, meet with parents individually, home visits, phone contacts made to make assessment
- Referrals made to community agencies, advocacy with agencies on behalf of students and families, follow-up of services
- Case management is often necessary for students with involved situations, of separate settings (self-contained programs).
- Liaison for school/family with various community agencies: i.e.-Cardinal Innovations Healthcare Solutions providers (formerly PBH), CAP-C and CAP-Innovations case managers
- On call for crisis intervention
- Home visits made with the possible purpose of encouraging parents' involvement/attendance in the IEP process, student attendance issues, clarifying special education procedures, assessing medical and mental health needs/referrals, investigating resources for failed vision/hearing screenings, possible neglect issues (financial needs, clothing needs, hygiene)
- Transportation is provided with the use of a school-owned automobile, as needed for pre-school evaluation team meetings and assessments, medical appointments, agency appointments, attendance of IEP meetings, and teacher conferences.
- Assist parents with outside placements and serve as an agency representative. Provide requested information to parents concerning various residential programs in N.C.
- Assist families with the process of legal guardianship for students attaining the age of 18
- Coordinate collection of Christmas Bureau stockings, 4-H clubs sponsored holiday parties, Operation Arc Angel wish lists, and nominations
- Consultation and collaboration on behalf of students and families in other responsibilities within the EC department
- Medicaid Coordinator
Abuse and Neglect Prevention
Adult Education Series
Counseling/Therapy Centers/Mental Health Resources
Financial Needs/Emergency Assistance
Transition to Adulthood