Substitute Teaching Program

  • Note: The substitute teacher approval process may take approximately 30 working days from beginning to end before the substitute can begin to accept substitute teaching jobs through the Substitute Teaching Management System (STEMS). When approved, you will receive notification inviting you to a required monthly substitute orientation.

    Thank you for your interest in Substitute Teaching for Union County Public Schools. Applicants MUST have a valid or expired teacher's license or two or four-year college degree to apply. For those UCPS teachers who would like to now substitute teach, you will need to fill out a substitute application packet, as this is a new role. If you have copies of required documents as indicated on the checklist, please send the documents with the packet. If you are new or have been separated from UCPS for over one year, a NC State Health Certificate Form is required in your packet. If you cannot get to your doctor, you can go to a CVS Minute Clinic as well. We will only accept all forms completed in one packet at one time for submission, otherwise it may not get processed. We appreciate your support and cooperation.  Please send your substitute teaching application along with all required documents to:

    Substitute Teaching Program

    Attention:  Elaine Cox

    Union County Public Schools

    400 N. Church St.

    Monroe, NC 28112

    Phone:  704-296-5176
    Substitute Teacher Information

    UCPS Information for Substitutes